Help! What's this in my Orpington's eye?

Westmarch

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
Hi BYCers,

On a routine check of my 10-week-old pullets today, I saw that my buff Orpington has an anomaly in her right eye. This looks like tissue or some sort of growth rather than being her actual eye or eyelid, but we can't really tell. It is not a foreign body.

I looked around the forum but haven't seen anything quite like this. The pullet - Nugget - doesn't seem distressed and is eating and drinking normally so far as I can tell. But I am worried about her! We looked at everyone else's eyes, too - nobody else has this problem.

Bump! Help! We don't have a vet who will see chickens, and this one is new to me:(

I don't exactly what this is either, but maybe she was pecked or scratched her eye on a stick. And that cause some of the tissue from her upper eye lid to peel down? Was there any blood? Have you tried messing with it (gently) to see if is foreign material stuck in her eye? Just my thoughts

Oy. I thought it could be a peck, but it really looks like it's not really a piece of her eyelid. She looks slightly worse today, I'm going to try to get another close-up.

Here is a picture from today. Our local chicken keeping folks have never seen anything like it either.

It looks like conjunctiva tissue, perhaps it is a skin tag, but could be a cyst. It may bleed if you try to remove it, so I would leave it alone, and watch it. I haven't seen this before, but maybe someone else has.

Last edited:
I have 68 chickens and have never seen anything like this! I do have a chicken vet but if I didn't I would probably just watch it and keep her eyes clean. My fear is that it would grow larger and end up impacting her vision or blinding her. One thought - there is an inexpensive homeopathic remedy called Thuja that you can give animals for warts, growths, skin tags, etc. I gave it to my dog last year to shrink a wart growing on her face. It eliminated the wart completely after 4 weeks. It's just a tiny little pellet you feed them a couple of times per day. I might try something like that?

Back
Top Bottom