HELP!! WHATS WRONG WITH HIS EYE??

chicken girllll

Hatching
Dec 10, 2019
These are pictures of my roosters eye I don’t know what’s wrong or what to do!

Attachments

• BA001443-8E21-4D91-A750-A9F09523B1F0.jpeg
    BA001443-8E21-4D91-A750-A9F09523B1F0.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 14
That is the inner eyelid that you're seeing. There's probably a collection of dried pus behind that eyelid. You can use a saline eye rinse to see if maybe just dirt or dust irritated the eye &/or use Vetrycin & terramycin ointment inside the eye. You'll hafta try to remove the pus, you'll think the eye would pop out first but little pieces of pus can usually be worked out from behind that other lid (I've done it). That lid moves side to side not up/down.
@Eggcessive @azygous @Wyorp Rock

His eye is closed. See that little dark teardrop shape at the inner corner? That’s a tiny open spot. He probably either got something in it or ran into a corner or stick, etc., or maybe got pecked. Make some warm saline (a tsp or so dissolved in a few cups of warm water). Wrap him up snug in a towel and soak the eye in warm saline on a soft cloth or paper towel. Just sit down and sing him a song or talk to him while the saline does its work.

See if you can gently coax the eye open after 3-5 minutes. If you have some veterinary eye drops, put one in, best you can. Since he can’t see it might be best to keep him in a kennel until he’s better. If there’s room, put the kennel in the chicken coop so he doesn’t lose his status as flock member and have to integrate himself all over again.

It looks like conjunctivitis (pinkeye) with pus from a sinus infection, usually caused by a respiratory disease, such as MG. Something getting into the eye causing an infection or a peck wound might also cause that. Is there any sneeze or cough, or crackles or wheezes when he breathes? I would get some saline eye wash from the drug store to rinse his eye. You are going to need to squeeze and dig out the thick white pus that is inside and around the eye. It may take more than one session, and it would help to have another pair of hands unless you are comfortable enought on your own. Tweezers or a manicure tool might be helpful. The longer it is there, the harder it is to get out. Apply Terramycin eye ointment to the eye twice a day after cleaning the eye with the eyewash. Here are some videos to help:

It looks like conjunctivitis (pinkeye) with pus from a sinus infection, usually caused by a respiratory disease, such as MG. Something getting into the eye causing an infection or a peck wound might also cause that. Is there any sneeze or cough, or crackles or wheezes when he breathes? I would get some saline eye wash from the drug store to rinse his eye. You are going to need to squeeze and dig out the thick white pus that is inside and around the eye. It may take more than one session, and it would help to have another pair of hands unless you are comfortable enought on your own. Tweezers or a manicure tool might be helpful. The longer it is there, the harder it is to get out. Apply Terramycin eye ointment to the eye twice a day after cleaning the eye with the eyewash. Here are some videos to help:

The videos are extremely helpful, shows that you hafta really squeeze, pry & dig to get the pus out. It worked on my little pullet. She had coryza and needed antibiotics for about 7-10 days. All better after that, she did take a huge leap down on the pecking order but she doesn't seem to mind. I worked on her eye at least twice a day. You can do this (a helpers hands will be very useful). I can't find my picture of when her face/eye looked like it was going to explode. This is a picture after I'd removed pus a couple days in a row. It looks like hard cottage cheese.
20191102_191758.jpg
20191031_102408.jpg

Last edited:
The videos are extremely helpful, shows that you hafta really squeeze, pry & dig to get the pus out. It worked on mine little pullet. She had coryza and needed antibiotics for about 7-10 days. All better after that, she did take a huge leap down on the pecking order but she doesn't seem to mind. I worked on her eye at least twice a day. You can do this (a helpers hands will be very useful). I can't find my picture of when her face/eye looked like it was going to explode. This is a picture after I'd removed pus a couple days in a row. It looks like hard cottage cheese.View attachment 1979363 View attachment 1979366
Here is your thread with a picture:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/eye-swollen-shut-on-pullet.1338210/

Back
Top Bottom