Help, white flakes.

thomassio

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I'm after some help if possible please. I have three chocolate runners, they are approx two months old. They have been fine, and still act and eat, stretch, run and flap completely normally, they don't appear to have anything wrong with them except there paddling pool has hundreds of tiny white flakes floating on the surface and today the snuck inside the house and when they left, there was a lot more of these 'flakes' on the floor where they had been. It looks like dry flakey skin? In fact what it really looks like is white ash. I'm in the uk, so temperatures are pretty up and down but no extremes at all. Any ideas please people?

Many thanks,

Thom.

Don't worry about it. I have that happen all the time. My bowls and pool are filled with them now. I don't know exactly what that is and someone here can probably tell you, but I have had ducks since 2002 and it happens when they molt. My ducks area looks like someone exploded with all the feathers everywhere and that nasty stuff in the water right now.

Sounds like your ducks are growing body feathers and the flakes are the feather shafts peeling off the emerging feathers.

Clint

Brilliant, thanks very much everyone. Nice to have some peace of mind.

does this happen to chickens too , My chickens are all older they are 6 that this is there first winter but its a lot of flakes . I have had chickens for a long time and learn new stuff everyday , My chickens have not laid since AUG really so Im trying to figure out if they are sick , they also molted so I know that slows things down a bit.

Amber

does this happen to chickens too , My chickens are all older they are 6 that this is there first winter but its a lot of flakes . I have had chickens for a long time and learn new stuff everyday , My chickens have not laid since AUG really so Im trying to figure out if they are sick , they also molted so I know that slows things down a bit.

Amber
yes dander is in all poultry, My chickens went through molt and I'm still waiting for them to start back laying it takes them a while to get back into laying some of mine went into heavy molt kinda looked like they had the mange.
roll.png
Poor things

Back
Top Bottom