Help, white flakes.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thomassio, Sep 8, 2013.

1. thomassio

thomassio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm after some help if possible please. I have three chocolate runners, they are approx two months old. They have been fine, and still act and eat, stretch, run and flap completely normally, they don't appear to have anything wrong with them except there paddling pool has hundreds of tiny white flakes floating on the surface and today the snuck inside the house and when they left, there was a lot more of these 'flakes' on the floor where they had been. It looks like dry flakey skin? In fact what it really looks like is white ash. I'm in the uk, so temperatures are pretty up and down but no extremes at all. Any ideas please people?

Many thanks,

Thom.

2. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Don't worry about it. I have that happen all the time. My bowls and pool are filled with them now. I don't know exactly what that is and someone here can probably tell you, but I have had ducks since 2002 and it happens when they molt. My ducks area looks like someone exploded with all the feathers everywhere and that nasty stuff in the water right now.

3. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Sounds like your ducks are growing body feathers and the flakes are the feather shafts peeling off the emerging feathers.

Clint

4. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    I have two six week old swedes and they are doing the same exact thing. It's supposed to be normal and mine are acting fine too, I wouldn't worry about it. :thumbsup

5. thomassio

thomassio Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Brilliant, thanks very much everyone. Nice to have some peace of mind.

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

That's exactly what it is.. lol.. ask anyone with parrots.. we are all too familiar with white flakes everywhere!

7. smalltown girl5

smalltown girl5 New Egg

Sep 1, 2012
    does this happen to chickens too , My chickens are all older they are 6 that this is there first winter but its a lot of flakes . I have had chickens for a long time and learn new stuff everyday , My chickens have not laid since AUG really so Im trying to figure out if they are sick , they also molted so I know that slows things down a bit.

Amber

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yes dander is in all poultry, My chickens went through molt and I'm still waiting for them to start back laying it takes them a while to get back into laying some of mine went into heavy molt kinda looked like they had the mange. [​IMG] Poor things

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by