HELP! Why are all my banty buff laced Polish dying!!!

k0r1nag

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Kelso
I was so excited to have acquired a pair of lovely banty buff-laced Polish birds from some show quality stock that I could hatch eggs from. The first few times I tried to incubate them, the little buggers were infertile. So I put the pair next to a pen with some frizzled Polish boys and – VIOLA!, we have fertile eggs. But the number of eggs that hatch is only about half the number set. So finally I have 4 adorable little buff fuzz balls and now they are all dying!!! I have them in a brooder with a few other banty chicks of the same age who were hatched by the same broody hen and out of all the birds, only these have pasty butt - so I have treated them for it –and they are still dying.

Symptoms: Very lethargic. Were not spraddle legged at first, now seeming so. Rest on the backs of their legs. Peeping loudly with eyes closed. I do hand water them regularly just in case and I have seen them eating.

What do all you experienced breeders think? Is this a genetic thing??? Should I scrap the pair as breeders? I got them from someone who got them from the breeder so I do not know how closely related they are. COuld this be the cause?

I would really value some input.

Thanks in advance!
Korina

i am not sure it is always the first few weeks that is the hardest they might have gotten some kind of disease were there mothers /fathers healthy?

My first Polish chick 3 years ago died of starvation. The crumbles were too big, and she was pecking at it and looked like she was eating. She chirped all the time. So now for chicks I grind all the crumbles down for 2 weeks. I have had it with 2 other hatches, but did it in time, and they were all fine.

Quote:
Great idea. I have been grinding crumbles for my button quail but the other little banties seemed to be eating it so that never occurred to me. I have more of these eggs in the incubator so I want to do whatever I can to keep them happy & healthy.

Zebserema - the parents seem very healthy. Beautifully colorful feathers with lots of shine to them, bright clear eyes, no mites on legs or crests. THe eggs were brooded by a cochin banty who has hatched out many other eggs for me in the past and she, too, seems very healthy. The only thing I can think of is that the eggs shells have more thin/light spots when candled than many of the other eggs I am currently hatching. Could they become diseased this way?

Again, thanks for the input!
Korina

Back
Top Bottom