Help why is my chickens sleeping more then usual?

Egg_cited

Songster
May 4, 2022
My chicken coop🐓
She is a 3 year old cochin. For the past 3 days she sits and puts her head into her feathers and just sleeps. I wake her up and she walks around and then go back to sleep. No other symptoms just lots of sleeping. The weather here has been very windy. I'm not sure but she might be perhaps doing a tiny molt aswell. Any help!

When was the last time she laid an egg??
What exactly do you feed her on a regular basis?
Have you brought any new chickens home within the last few months?

When was the last time she laid an egg??
What exactly do you feed her on a regular basis?
Have you brought any new chickens home within the last few months?
About a couple weeks ago. She eats starter as an all flock with oyster shells on the side. No I haven't I'm suspecting lice but not sure

I need advise!
So if I let her out she will go around around and forage. I'm pretty sure she is doing a small molt? Could that be why? I just don't understand why she is sleeping so much?

Some chickens lose their appetites during molt. This can result in weakness and wanting to sleep a lot because of the extreme lethargy. Sometimes a chicken will become too weak to even feel like eating. You need to bring her glucose back up to give her enough energy to want to eat. Give her a cup of water with a teaspoon of sugar stirred in.

Giving high protein snack every few days can counteract the effects of molt, providing more calories, more energy, and more protein since feather building really sucks down protein. Fish, Vienna cocktail sausages, eggs, hamburger, raw liver are all good sources of protein.

Back
Top Bottom