HELP WILD BABYTURKEY REALLY TIRED AND WON'T EAT OR DRINK

Neeshelpplease

Hatching
7 Years
May 29, 2012
Okay so the Other day we found a bay Turkey all by his self, he still small but has all his feathers and still peeps, we didn't have any chick starter yesterday so we feed him rolliepollies he seemed fine but today he falls asleep instantly and won't eat or drink anything and won't stand by itself at all

Please help thank you

Get some poultry electrolytes in him, even if you have to use an oral syringe to do so, or poke balls of electrolyte-soaked bread down its throat. It's critically important to keep them hydrated - dehydration can lead to loss of interest in food. Try feeding him mealworms, and see if he will eat them. If not, force feed those, too. Chopped boiled chicken breast or hard boiled egg is also a good source of protein. I had a wild poult someone gave to me, and after eating some cat food they gave him all on his own, he refused to eat almost entirely while I had him. I put him in with some baby chicks I borrowed & he ate a little in imitation of them, but still required additional feedings. I think with wild turkey poults, this is fairly common. Sometimes the stress of separation from the flock or the passage of time without eating (perhaps while wandering around) kind of short-circuits them. I believe if you keep it alive, keep it hydrated & its crop full, it will snap out of it sooner or later and eat on its own. Hope this is helpful.

If you cannot get your hands on poultry electrolytes (such as Sav-a-Chick), I did find this recipe on the boards for a homemade poultry electrolyte:

ETA:
I have converted the above electrolyte "recipe" for you (is not EXACT as a gram of peanut butter weighs in differently than a gram of sugar but it should be ok... just make sure it is level and not rounded unless otherwise specified)
one and one/half teaspoon salt
one teasoon baking soda
one/half teaspoon (ROUNDED>not level) salt substitue
3 tablespoons glucose (corn syrup)
two (FULL) quarts of water

Back
Top Bottom