HELP !!!!!!Winterizing my coop

Skibunny6703

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Hi
I have a cabin coop design. All summer my chicken can leave the hen house into the enclose run all the want. I have their food and water and a perch in the run. I let then out of the cabin often but not everday.

Iam trying to prep for winter and there area few things I am not sure of.

I am in eastern mass near the cape so we get pretty good winters.

I am going to put a 100W bulb in the coop on a thermal block.

I think we are going to leave the food and water in the run. However, I was going to leave the doorway open so they r free to go in and out as they please. My husband built a door to enclose then in the hen house at night. He was concern the doorway was to much of a draft. I on the other hand felt that was the only ventilation they had since all the windows were closed for the winter in regards to draft risks. I also liked not having to go out every day to let then out into the enclosed run to eat and drink. Should we close them up at night completely or can I leave the door open for the winter? ( we are putting wind breaks on the coop) Can I put a flap style door that I can train them to go in and out of or a door is best?

Note: I am doing deep litter method too

I know I can go out every morning but I am trying to avoid everyday. during the summer I sometimes don't go out there until afternoon to check water and food. Somedays I don't have to because i have a nipple system and hopper for feed.

I would love a automatic door but don't have the money for that this year.

if they are closed up completely because of drafts should I open at least one small rectangular vent or they will be fine?

Last edited:
I suggest you move the food and water back into the coop because the water will probably freeze and that can damage the water causeing it to crack and if it snows the food is soiled and you best keep the door closed I have all of the windows and both doors closed and they are fine it also depends on how old they are.

Thank you for your input
My water is heated and the food is in the enclosed run which has wind breaks. My enclosed run doesn't get snow due to the wind breaks.

I keep my windows closed but have been leaving my small door open so they can go n out when they please. Pretty soon I will put wind blockers up so they can enjoy outside in the winter too! I think it's fine but probably in the next few weeks I will close it. I live on cape cod and I know the days are close to getting real colllllld!!!!

I would leave your pop door open as well as a vent up high on the wall. Especially if you choose to add a light in the coop. You could build a simple tunnel around your pop door to serve as a wind block. This way the birds will have full time access to the outside (provided your run is secure) and a draft free shelter for night. You can close your pop door nightly but always leave vents open. You can close upwind vents during storm events. Never close up birds in a coop without ventilation!

thanks. I think we are going to do the tunnel to make a small wind break. I like yours, def gonna figure something out. I like the door open so they can go in and out as they please. We plan on closing them in during windy night and snow storms. My light will be on a thermo block and a daylight light on a timer. Plus Christmas light running around the inside or trim outside of the coop run ceiling for ambient lighting.

I have a cabin coop and my perches are three. one at the back one of the middle and one near the front door. My buffs are dominant over my wynodot my sussex and rock. they don't let them sit with them. I wish they would perch together but the three fancy ones end up in the nesting boxes.

I like this idea because I want to keep my food and water outdoors sine the henhouse is small. I have a PVC hopper trough system and a bucket nipple system which I am just adding a bird bath heater. I am making a pcv watering system to replace the bucket system

yes my cabin coop run is secure. I spent half the summer leveling out a foundation of wire cloth and patio block/bricks to prevent anything from digging under or through.

I leave the pop door open during winter - only closed off during blizzard/nor'easter conditions.
Same with our coop window, but upper vents stay open at all times.
I tried to get them to use a flap - they didn't like it.
We have wind blocks too (plexiglass pieces & plastic sheeting)
The food & water remains out in the run unless extreme weather. We use a heated dog bowl.
btw: You should really train them to sleep on a roost instead of nest boxes. Birds poop alot at night, the nestboxes will get nasty quick.
Good luck up there in Mass.!

I leave the pop door open during winter - only closed off during blizzard/nor'easter conditions.
Same with our coop window, but upper vents stay open at all times.
I tried to get them to use a flap - they didn't like it.
We have wind blocks too (plexiglass pieces & plastic sheeting)
The food & water remains out in the run unless extreme weather. We use a heated dog bowl.
btw: You should really train them to sleep on a roost instead of nest boxes. Birds poop alot at night, the nestboxes will get nasty quick.
Good luck up there in Mass.!
My younger girls are still on the floor huddled together! They will not rooooost because of the bigger Girls! It's so annoying! Any tips? I put clean hay where they sleep almost every day. So it's dry and clean at least
1f601.png
1f624.png
1f631.png

Back
Top Bottom