Help with 12 wk old polish

abooot99

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 12, 2009
New Ipswich
We have two chickens that are 12 weeks old in a separate pan from are the birds until they get a little bigger the Polish and the naked neck were in their coop when my three-year-old son said stick fell on him. When my son took him out of the coop initially when it happened the bird look like he was passed out on deaths door. He slowly came to and got a little stronger and was able to lethargically keep up with another bird. Over time this happened three days ago he has been more lethargic and now he's shaking his head and when I went to go pick him up he was jerking his neck from side to side. It doesn't appear that he has been eating hard to tell though. Where do I start?

Sorry to hear about your polish getting injured. Do you think the stick could have fallen on his head? Polish have a vaulted skull so there brain is not completely protected and can be at risk to brain injury. Even from something as simple as a peck from another bird. Your bird could be suffering from something called wry neck this causes the bird to lose control of its neck and head therefore causing lethargy. My suggestion would be to keep him somewhere confined, start hand feeding and watering him to make sure he keeps his strength up. Also start him on some vitamins. Also try him with some hard boiled egg or tuna something that's going to temp him into eating. Wishing you the very best of luck with him and hope he improves soon :fl
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/521570/polish-crested-wry-neck-crooked-neck-diary

Last edited:
So this bird and his partner were brought inside in a pen with divider... He hasn't eaten or drank anything probably all day. I've been at work and maybe even yesterday... Probably some dehydration. His poo is scant with watery urates so it's obvious he hasn't had much. He is weak...how could I get fluids into him

If he has not been eating or drinking for 3 days, he will not last much longer. He should be dropper fed some electrolyte solution, and offered fluid as often as you can by holding up a small cup of electrolyte water to his beak. Yorkshire Coop has good instructions in post #2 about feeding.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION courtesy of The Chicken Chick
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Thanks for the info... He appears to have signs consistent with wry neck from head trauma....I feel awful but it was an accident...
I read about nursing a wryneck back to health with the possibility of exacerbation so I am reluctant to attempt intervention although my stubborn guilty side is really fighting me on this one. I've had chickens 6 yrs and used to do anything to get them back to good health including vet trips with the end result being a dead chicken and lots of grief and empty wallet...

The baby just had a seizure that was brief but he flipped entire body over landed on his face. I'm sad to see him go on this way and realistically don't have time to spend every waking minute with him...2 toddlers and a full time job ...so I feel euthanasia is probably best... Now I'll be left with a single 11 wk old naked neck. She can't go in with the older birds.. They will go after her...do I try getting a new similar age bird or take my most docile adult and pair her with my 11 wk old.....oh this is awful

Sorry about the chick. You could put the other pullet in a large cage with food and water inside the coop and run and keep her with the others until she grows a bit more. That way they will get to know each other safely.

Yes I thought of that but my coop isn't big enough for a cage... And it's pretty chilly at night and feel bad she doesn't have another bird to snuggle with...

If the run is big enough or they free range, you could place her outside with them in a cage while bringing her in at night. I use some portable fencing with poultry netting, and put a little bird netting over the top to keep mine separated inside or outside, when there is a big size difference. After a few weeks you could put her together when you have a day off and can watch them together. She will be pecked a little, but it should work out.

Back
Top Bottom