Help with 250 Cornish cross chicks

jbofky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
I have 250 chicks coming at the end of he month. We raised 150 last spring. To make a long story short, they were delayed in shipping, didn't look good when they showed up, and about 20 died the first two days. 20 more over the next several weeks.

The brooder was in a lightly insulated pole barn with very little air moving. We've used it for layers, with no problem. Do you think ventilation could have played a role?

I also used an "Ohio brooder" and I found several under it. Is it possible that they were getting too hot under it?

What would be the best heat source? Ohio brooder with red heat bulbs? Ceramic heat emitters? Could I make a "mama heating pad" set up with multiple large pads?

You didn't say what the weather or temp was like or what climate you live in.
For one thing, you need to make sure you used medicated chick crumbles for food, wash their feed and water dishes daily with chlorox, and put electrolyte and probiotic supplements in their water. The supplements are cheap, sold at farm supply stores in foil envelopes. I use a red baby chick light, and I keep baby chicks when I get a whole lot of them in a large [plastic childs wading pool. Often people throw them out if they get a crack in the plastic, or you can buy one at the discount dollar store. I wash it out with chlorox and put fresh puppy pads or wood shavings in it. Baby chicks will huddle up together. I ordered a hundred in one batch one time years ago and used these methods and have never lost a chick. If you are sure you did all you could to take care of them order from a different hatchery. I recommend Murray McMurray. Baby chicks can come with germs on them. They can also dirty up their drinking water, change it every morning and every night.

Back
Top Bottom