Help with 6 week old chick who looks like a balloon

tuthillny

Semper Fidelis
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Ulster Co. NY
This is mixed cockerel who lives in the main coop with his broody mom and three other hatch mates. I noticed two days ago that he looked huge. He waddled around like a meat bird and he had very wide legs and a broad back. The sight of him was very confusing and concerning. My son was able to catch him a few hours ago and all I can say is he is a big soft balloon. All his air sacs have expanded - no fluid just air. Otherwise, he seems healthy - as does everyone else. I am concerned that this may lead to a bigger problem. If so, I need to nip it in the bud now. Thanks

Diagnosis of ruptured air sacs
Because of the presence of the air sacs beneath the skin, an air sac ruptured can be realised as a bulging and swelling of the skin layer. Consequently, and for a better diagnosis, one may push a sterile needle through the skin. If air is present beneath the skin, the swelling will diminish. However, if it is edema, a fluid can be aspirated through the needle. In most chicks with this problem, the air sac wall will eventually heal and the subcutaneous air will disappear. Nevertheless, many chicks may die.

Diagnosis of ruptured air sacs
Because of the presence of the air sacs beneath the skin, an air sac ruptured can be realised as a bulging and swelling of the skin layer. Consequently, and for a better diagnosis, one may push a sterile needle through the skin. If air is present beneath the skin, the swelling will diminish. However, if it is edema, a fluid can be aspirated through the needle. In most chicks with this problem, the air sac wall will eventually heal and the subcutaneous air will disappear. Nevertheless, many chicks may die.

Thank you so much. I will keep an eye on him.

Back
Top Bottom