Help with 6 wk old peachick with breathing problem..so confused with what to do!

cosmosweaver11

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2015
Been reading on here since last night at what to do with about my peachick whos having breathing issues and what actualky could be the cause..
I bought my peachicks locally when they were about 1 week old. Since ive had them the are kept inside in a clean horse troft with heat lamp food n water. I was told from them to give non medicated game feed, scratch, mash hard boil eggs from my chickens and milworms to them. Everythings been great until about 2 weeks ago when i just thought they were making new noises (like vocals changing). Last nite i was paying very close attention as their is only one making the sound and she or he is not doing it all the time..kind of a rasp purr or like phelm in through and hold uts mouth open other 2 are fine. As it does not do this all the time though which made me think nothing of it before. I have no demored them yet because i thought u did that when they started outside n about 3 to 4 months of age. As of today i separated the one who does not chirp n only makes thethe noise explained above and we gave some vet rx to on cotton swap in mouth. I was first think gapworm but since reading and when separated we notice she has very watery stools and before we left to tractor supply to try in find ivermectin for sheep(which we couldnt find going to ck anothet that was closed tomorrow) we saw alittle blood spot on the paper ..which makes me now think cocc.. i need some expert advise on this and what to do..and about how to worm. I have 14 laying rhode island reds and ISA Browns in a large fenced in area wiyh my pot bellied pig and 6 two month old chicks in the future peacock pen and the 3 peacocks inside with one of them sick..i have never gad any kind of problem with any of my animals..i keep their stuff clean n fresh daily.

I forgot to mention that she eats and drinks fine just like the rest. Hard to tell if shes sleepier than the rest as they all like to passout n weird possitions and perk up when we come to give treats or talk with them.

If they have a heat lamp at 6 weeks just give them medicated chick starter nothing else. You can still give them treats. Scratch??? Are they getting grit? At that age why risk a crop impaction. And why not medicated, cocci and blackhead will wipe them out in no time. Are theh acting normal or droopy winged?

Ive never had peafowl before that is what we were told to give them. Yes to grit mixed in with their feed. They all act normal except for noise n stool of the one. As for the fact of not medicating its what my husband decided and what we were told and what we read. Please eyekeyyou give me advise dont tear us down for trying to do our best. I care greatly for our flick and take very good care of them. Im asking for good knowledge on what to do and what i should be doing? By the way we have only had birds for about a year n a half. Sorry for typos im typing this on my phone.

We have decided to buy the medicated game bird starter feed n the morning if we can find if not we will mix non medicated game bird feed with medicated chick starter feed. And still give boil eggs smashed plain yogurt and acv n water every now n then.

Not trying to, text is so unfriendly. I start with medicated gamebird 28% first two weeks followed by 18% chickstarter because I always have light on and they grow up too quickly otherwise. Growing up quick = greater chance of slipped tendons. Cocci and blackhead are awful everything will start dying when they were fine 2 days ago. Ivermectin does not kill a huge host of stuff that will affect a peachick use safeguard instead also very safe as to overdosing. I am a firm believer in acidified copper sulfate for one week when they hit six weeks it clears a host of problems. Probably does the same as Apple Cider Vinegar but is listed as blackhead treatment and aids digestive system. I have had them die from impacted crops, placing on ground too soon and them getting blackhead, cocci, slipped tendons and none are fun. Keeping diet simple, and keeping of ground has allowed me to not have any loses in past 200 chicks except for snakes and now everything electrified.

My suggestion is safeguard, corid for cocci and an easy diet to digest. If you can post pictures of poop there are some connoisseurs in this site.

Good luck and whatever it is sounds like you caught soon which makes all difference.

Thank you and i totally agree with the texting thing..plus i might have been alil senitive to it cause im worried and have been trying to figure this all out myself. Theres just so many different prespectives on what it is and how to worm them my heads just spinning. Thank you for responding and the good advise.

Should i use the safegaurd for goats? And what about tylan that so many suggest for cocci? I will post yucky poop pucs..your right it would help.

Doing what works for you is always best. But Ivermectin will not affect roundworms it is great but not if they are sick. My personal preference if sick is Valbazen it is slower acting longer lasting so sometimes not as shocking to the system (but you can overdose in comparison to safeguard) If anything bad ever happens nothing will teach you more about what is going on than a necropsy you do yourself and learning what signs to look for. Last blackhead death i had was limited to just two thanks to that. I couldn't explain how they got it being in an enclosed building but was able to save the rest (without a necropsy would have never treated for it). Later found out someone put a silkie chick in with them for a couple of hours while they cleaned a brooder out. Thats all it takes for them to get it if its in your area.
These will not be your only peachicks, hatching is more addictive than gambling so enjoy and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom