Help With a Broody Problem...

gamebirdboy

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
East Tennessee
Okay, well half of my chickens are broody and it is about 94* outside. One hen died sitting because she was setting on nothing for 2 weeks, and one took over. This hen has been on the eggs for about 15 days. They didn't hatch. So, I gave her and another unsuccessful broody chicks. One started to take them and the other wouldn't. Now the one that took them isn't wanting to deal with them. She wants more eggs to sit on, any ideas, I don't want all of my birds to die sitting in this heat! Thanks.

I always put my broody in a box in the house so I can keep my eye on then and I put they food and water in front of them so they can eat with out get off there nest, but if you cant bring them in the house I would give them water with ice in it and to cool them down I would get milk jugs and put frozen water in it and but it near the broody but not to close to the nest or it will cool the eggs. That should help with the heat and put there food in frout of them. Try to get the broodies to drink a lot and to eat.

Are your broodies in a hot coop or are they in the shade. I have not had a problem with broodies in the heat, but I keep mine in brooder boxes under the shade trees. If you use brooder boxes make sure they are big enough for food and water and for the hens to get off the eggs but stay in the box. Boxes will need to be secured in the evening to keep predators out.

I gave them dog houses in a grow out pen. I put a rubber mat over it and it gets shade from the metal shed. Right now I have the one windows open. I have the one with chicks in the garage with the windows open. The heat index for today is about 100 and I've been misting them every few hours, but not the broodies. I can't get them to drink or eat much. I heard that half of an asprin will break her, is this true? thanks

Last edited:
I'm lucky that it's not hot here yet.. but I have my broody in one of those rabbit hutches. I reinforced it with hardware cloth so it's preditor proof. It's necessary to take the broody out once a day to allow her to eat/drink and poop. They won't poop usually if they are diehard broodys. So you need to give her a break once a day to walk around eat, drink and poop.. even take a dust bath if she is so inclined. It's not healthy for them to just sit there and not relieve themselves. That in itself will cause them to decline and if she's not drinking (mine won't drink out of the cup next to her nest in front of her) then she's getting dehydrated from the heat and that will lead to death. Make sure she's in a shady spot.. or you could bring her inside with her nest of eggs.. keep her in a dog crate.. something big enough for her nest and impending chicks. Still the important part is taking her off the nest once a day to drink/eat and do her business.. may need to do that 2-3 times a day with that kind of heat. I put a dish towel over the eggs to retain the heat while mine is off the nest.

Yesterday was day 8 for my eggs and my nephew and I candled them.. 5 out of 7 are developing! Two more weeks to go!!!

Best of luck!

Susan

Back
Top Bottom