Help with a coop roof

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mpgo4th, Aug 19, 2013.

1. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have stupid question. My run was broken into by an something I'm sure was furry and some damage was done. I always shut the coop and barrel lock the door and windows so the chicken were unharmed. To keep them safe I built a run inside my fenced in backyard where the dogs are so no animals will be able to get to them again. Now for the problem. While my wife and I were moving the coop to the new location with a hand truck (VERY heavy and hard to handle) we tipped it over and damaged the roof. I have it all set up now but it is not going to be water tight. Of course they are calling for rain for the next three days. I went to tractor supply and picked up a 6X8 tarp to cover the 4X6 roof with. How can I attach it so that wind will not blow it off? I have it draped over the roof tonight but will need to secure it tomorrow. I have a 2 inch gap all around the roof to wall area to allow for ventilation and don't want that blocked. I know this should be simple but I am tired and out of Ideas, please help.

2. OScarlet

OScarlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2013
    gigantic bungees?

3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Use 1" x 2" or 1" x 1" and screws. Screw the 1 x 2's over the tarp into the top of the walls. This is work until tarp falls apart.

4. mpgo4th

mpgo4th Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Thanks, I should have done that. I just rolled it under itself and staple gunned it to the sides. Hopefully I can put a real roof on soon. I would like to use metal put it costs so much.

5. Smangerer

Smangerer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Tarps deteriorate fast. When it does I would replace it with a piece of corrugated plastic roof. An eight foot piece cost about $20 or so and it lasts much longer than a more expensive tarp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by