Help with a "non-layer"??

No. The other types of feed do not have enough calcium for laying hens. That is something you need to offer separately. The ones that need it, will eat it. The ones that don't won't consume too much of it. A 5 lb bag of crushed oyster shell is usually about $5 to $10 dollars, and will last a small flock several months.

No. The other types of feed do not have enough calcium for laying hens. That is something you need to offer separately. The ones that need it, will eat it. The ones that don't won't consume too much of it. A 5 lb bag of crushed oyster shell is usually about $5 to $10 dollars, and will last a small flock several months.

5# or 50#? at their current rate my flock of 8 would have gone through the 5# in like 2 weeks... Should I be worried?
They always have plenty of 18% protein feed and free range most days. I offer the oyster shell on the side (usually outside the run), but they still go ham some days.
Also we have a family owned mill here that makes a variety of its own animal feeds and also offers 50# bags of Oyster shell for about $12, so $5-10 for 5# seems high.

Quote: Small packages marketed to backyard chickeneers at the farm stores cost way more than buying in bulk as the feed mill, just like many other smaller packages of product.

I also buy my oyster shell from feed mill in what ever quantity I want for maybe 30 cents per pound (can't remember exactly).

Small packages marketed to backyard chickeneers at the farm stores cost way more than buying in bulk as the feed mill, just like many other smaller packages of product.

I also buy my oyster shell from feed mill in what ever quantity I want for maybe 30 cents per pound (can't remember exactly).

Gotcha. That makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom