Help with a plant fungus problem?!?!

I planted a mango tree from a seed last year in May. She’s almost a year old and she’s about 2 1/2 - 3’ tall. Since I got it from a seed from the fruit at a store it most likely isn’t disease resistant and probably won’t produce fruit but I wanted to do it anyway.

Well it got cold so I drug it - along with my other plants - into the back room in the garage. It has cold and moist conditions because I watered the plants. I did what I could to overwinter, and I understand these conditions are ripe and perfect for breeding fungus molds and other harmful pathogens but I did what I could.

I will lost some pictures but I need advice on what to do. Almost all (not all but almost) the leaves have this weird fungus like infection. They start turning brown on a section on the end and the browning spreads toward the trunk of the tree, the ends of the leaves curling. No aphids. I don’t overwater and I haven’t over/under fertilized it. It’s fungus and I know it. It has black dots on the leaves, I’m thinking it’s anthracnose but I googled anthracnose on mango leaves and it doesn’t quite look the same. I clipped the infected leaves off to see if that would help and now where the leaves are clipped against the trunk of the tree there’s black spots forming on the trunk!!! Eek! I don’t know what to do. I’m very knowledgeable with gardening but severely lack understanding in the area of fungus infections.

I’ve been looking at buying this to see if it may help. I don’t have a clue what’s going on, help would be appreciated.
https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Produ...ords=plant+fungus+spray&qid=1583643082&sr=8-3
When I clipped the leaves off it began shooting more branches at the bottom (topping and pruning will cause this) so maybe I should just cut off and destroy the part with the fungus and let the new shoots grow branches and treat it with a hard fungicide??? Please help I don’t want it to die!

Attachments

• E64ACD64-9B9E-4476-B31B-CAE27E08F55B.jpeg
    E64ACD64-9B9E-4476-B31B-CAE27E08F55B.jpeg
    651.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 7EA1C448-9B03-4D78-AC19-E132FDEE8391.jpeg
    7EA1C448-9B03-4D78-AC19-E132FDEE8391.jpeg
    474.6 KB · Views: 1
  • B4D1CC0E-586A-4B11-B120-7AD9D1A94A76.jpeg
    B4D1CC0E-586A-4B11-B120-7AD9D1A94A76.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 1
  • C4165D84-ADE4-4DC5-A3C1-B24F6693A3D1.jpeg
    C4165D84-ADE4-4DC5-A3C1-B24F6693A3D1.jpeg
    483.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431 KB · Views: 1
If you have a water softener in your house the salt in the water can turn leaves brown at the tips. If you are sure it is a fungus treat the same as for anthracnose. You could also take a leaf or the plant to a good nursery for diagnosis.

If you have a water softener in your house the salt in the water can turn leaves brown at the tips. If you are sure it is a fungus treat the same as for anthracnose. You could also take a leaf or the plant to a good nursery for diagnosis.
I use the water that comes straight from the well. None of my other plants have this problem just my poor poor mango :hit thank you so much for the reply. I’ll get myself some fungicide spray then.So should I cut the infected leaves off THEN spray, or just spray to contain it until more leaves grow, keep spraying, then clip and destroy infected leaves?

Remove anything that appears infected. Don’t put infected leaves in compost or around other plants that you like.
As I said I’d update. The plant is completely dead. I kept cutting branches back and spraying the fungicide on it that was specifically for the issue I thought I had. It tried coming back but the last shoot is dying... :hit

Back
Top Bottom