Help with a premie?

Kim-Bot

Chirping
May 12, 2021
Hey friends!

I think I had a cold spot in the incubator as 2 eggs in one area did not hatch. One was super tiny and dead inside when I opened it (as it was smelly). For the other egg I put a safety hole in the air cell and saw some movement. After leaving them for a couple days, I checked it again today and saw the baby was small and alive, but shrink wrapped. I carefully moistened and peeled away the membrane which was very thick.

I have them set up in the bottom shell in a cup and paper towel in the incubator and gave them a couple drops of sugar water. I did not see any yolk left to absorb, but looks like some goop is still around the umbilical area. I used a soft toothbrush with warm water to try and get the dried membrane off their head, but they're still crusty.

Is there anything else I can do for this little one to get them through the night? I don't have any vitamins aside from niacin powder.

I think they'll both work, I'd dilute the gatorade a bit though.
Thank you! I used the vitamin water as it seemed a little better and mixed it with egg yolk. Got a couple drops in the little one and took him out of the egg as everything was cleared up. Staying in the bator for the night, hopefully have good news in the morning. Thanks for the help!

The little premie made it through the night! They've joined their siblings in the brooder now and are stronger than I thought they'd be. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 20220602_091456.jpg
    20220602_091456.jpg
    841.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom