Help with an unabsorbed yolk sac

Thank you so
I'd leave it alone and let the yolk absorb. It might take a few hours and if it's a strong chick it should be OK.
My mom had this happen and she didn't loose many.[/quotmuchuc

Thank you so much! I didn't want to risk helping it because we have 28 eggs in there and others are rocking, pipped, pipping, zipping and hatching! I'm worried my humidity may be too high bc of how wet and covered in goo they are, with little egg shell pieces stuck to them. It's at 78.

Humidity is a little too high. You're in the south like me... So no higher than 65%. That sticky stuff is tedious to remove but doable. Glad the chicks didn't drown. I drowned 2 whole batches....
Post pictures of your babies when you can.
1f601.png
1f44d.png

I just had this happen to a chick under my broody hen. I don't have a brooder and the pine shavings in the coop are getting stuck to the yolk :( hoping it dries up. Not sure though...

When you say it will be ok in a couple of hours, how much of an egg sac are you talking about?
The two times it happened with me, it was early hatching very active chicks that had large egg
sacs hanging from flaccid umbilicous. They didnt absorb or fall off but pulled out more innards after the
chick struggled with its hanging eggs sac for hours before herniating. At the time intuitively I felt I should have cut
it off but after hearing over and over they would reabsorb I didnt and the chick suffered and died and
never reabsorbed anything but indured for three horrible days. Are we talking about the same thing?
A little protrusion will go in and should be ignored, but a hanging sac invaribly in my case results in herniated chicks doomed
to die. I think I have a hot spot in my incubator as frequently I get a couple of early chicks that tend to be

extra active.
Do you cut it off after it dries?

I
I wish some of the people that had this problem would come back and post what happened with their chicks! It seems like we often read of problems, but not how they turn out.
was just thinking the same thing. Looking for answers too but there are only questions.

Well here is my baby that hatched with a unabsorbed yolk. She's 2 and setting on her 5th clutch of eggs . She was a frightening experience. I really thought I was going to loose her.
I left her in the incubator with a wet paper towel around the yolk until it was ,for the most part absorbed ,took several hours . Than I cut the remaining part off .You can tell when because the navel will close.
IMG_20180527_184048.jpg

Help with an unabsorbed yolk sacOne of my chicks hatched out with the yolk sac attached to it's navel, and I don't mean partially absorbed, it was hanging on outside and it has a flat little abdomen. The yolk sac was brownish-yellow and it burst when the little guy tried to kick out of the egg. I wrapped the whole thing up carefully in a cloth and put it in a coffee mug in the brooder so it can't kick anymore. It seems to be doing fine. Anyone else have experience with this issue?

Most will tell you to leave it alone and it will reabsorb. That has not been my experience. The chick will give himself a hernia by stepping on the egg sac that will be difficult to stuff back in. This will look like a loop of intestine is hanging out as well as the egg sac which will blacken with time. The other chicks will instinctively peck at it and give the chick a slow miserable death if not isolated. If the chick has a hernia he will probably die, even if isolated in about 3 days. I would cut off the egg sac and cauterize the stump immediately or clamp it for 30 minutes especially since its already broken. The dangling mess he is dragging around is inviting infection and will almost certainly be stepped on pulling out things that won't go back in and making life impossible. I would also dip his bill in sugar water and keep him warm and isolated. Very tiny amounts of sugar water will keep him going.
I have one that I thought was dead. I opened the egg too early and it has quite bit of unabsorbed yolk. Now . The yolk hardened! What do I do??

Back
Top Bottom