Help with an unabsorbed yolk sac

Can you send pictures ? My instinct is to tell you to cut it off. The yolk is food for the chick while waiting for it's siblings to hatch.. As long as she has food and water from the start probably should be OK.

Can you send pictures ? My instinct is to tell you to cut it off. The yolk is food for the chick while waiting for it's siblings to hatch.. As long as she has food and water from the start probably should be OK.
Ill get a pic when I can. The problem is, it hasn't been moving often. Could it be sleeping? It was not supposed to be out of the egg set

It sounds like the yolk dried up. I am not sure you can wet it again. I would try to feed it to get some energy since it does not have anything to fall back on and it is starving. Sugar water, electrolytes, and hopefully it will start picking up the starter feed. I just dip my finger into the water and let the droplet touch the beak. They usually start drinking drop by drop. I would go with the "cut it off" team, if there are no blood vessels and keep it isolated so the others won't hurt it until the abdomen closes. A picture would help.

same thing here! PLS HELP! the "yolk" or whatever is more flesh colored in my case. The baby is still wet and in the incubator. I know I should let it dry first. is blood a bad sign?

same thing here! PLS HELP! the "yolk" or whatever is more flesh colored in my case. The baby is still wet and in the incubator. I know I should let it dry first. is blood a bad sign?
You are on an older thread here and might get more help if you post a new thread on the incubating and hatching forum, or the emergencies one. Yes, seeing active blood is not ideal, it means that the chick did not finish absorbing the blood yet. Please post pics on a new thread and then we will be able to help you more easily. Good Luck!!

Yes. Blood can be a bad sign. It means she came out too early. Just keep her in there. Let her absorb it on her own. There’s a chance she won’t make it though..

sorry to post this here, but she/he is doing much better. he has stopped bleeding, and I think the cause of all the blood was the umbilical cord. he's peeping loudly and although his eyes stay closed most of the time, he mustered enough energy to open them once and stand up, before toppling into another egg. He's sleeping in the incubator, safe and sound. next steps? he's not dry yet. when should I take him out?

sorry to post this here, but she/he is doing much better. he has stopped bleeding, and I think the cause of all the blood was the umbilical cord. he's peeping loudly and although his eyes stay closed most of the time, he mustered enough energy to open them once and stand up, before toppling into another egg. He's sleeping in the incubator, safe and sound. next steps? he's not dry yet. when should I take him out?
Sounds like normal chick behavior to me! :D Wait until he’s completely dry! They normally don’t open their eyes for a while. Is this your first hatch?

Back
Top Bottom