HELP WITH BABY DOE FAWN!!!

Oh cool! He is beautiful also, I love their colors... I am lucky around here a few people have raised fawns to deer and put bright orange collars on them and let them run around. The hunters respect the collars and don't kill them... So I plan to do that because she will get too big to keep in the house all the time, now she goes out on a leach, but I don't think she would run off unless she got spooked.

She sleeps in the bed with me as you can see, she is already spoiled

That's probably such a relief, that's cool the hunters respect them, I don't think that would work around here! What an awesome adventure! Raising a fawn! Oh and thank you, I have raised a baby mockingbird before and she was a lot of fun, she actually just had babies of her own this year!

You really need to get that fawn to a real wildlife rehabilitation center. Contact the DNR or BLM. A deer is not a pet. It is also highly likely it is illegal to possess it.

I understand you're attached to it, but it is not a pet. Even if you want to release it back into the wild you are probably just making it easier to be shot during a hunting season by removing its fear of humans.

Steny

Don't know what state you live in but I found a deer while mowing a hay field and contacted the Fish and Wildlife Dept and was told to either find a license rehab to take it or have it euthanized. Otherwise it was a 1000 fine and heard from some a possible class A felony but never confirmed that. The rehab I found feeds goat milk 3x per day 6-8oz per feeding. I don't think it's in the best interest of the deer to raise it in the house as a pet.

In the house probably isn't the best thing for her, but I wanted to say, in my State, the only illegal thing to raise by the written law, that I copied and read over law, (and I say it that way as people have told me differently that I discuss it with) is birds. All others are free to rehab, but not to keep as pets.

Like I said when she is old enought to let out I plan on putting a collar on her and let her come and go. Right now the house is the safest place for her because I live in the mountains so she would be subject to wild dogs, wild pigs and bears. I plan on having a pin built for her later.

In the house probably isn't the best thing for her, but I wanted to say, in my State, the only illegal thing to raise by the written law, that I copied and read over law, (and I say it that way as people have told me differently that I discuss it with) is birds. All others are free to rehab, but not to keep as pets.
What the original poster is doing is not rehabilitating. She is keeping a wild animal as a pet, which is illegal in most if not all states without special permits.

Please seek out a wildlife center. You are not doing this fawn any favors by treating it as pet. By treating it as you are, you are probably ruining any chances it can live as a wild animal, as it was intended to do.

I don't mean to make you feel bad, but the fawn may not really have been abandoned either. Does leave their fawns in hiding spots all the time, and may only return long enough to feed. To a casual observer it may have looked like it was abandoned, but in reality the mother was probably returning without you noticing.

steny

Back
Top Bottom