Help with bantam egg with runny brownish yellow liquid

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by janf1914, Mar 19, 2013.

1. janf1914

janf1914 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Yesterday my 1yr. old bantam was acting like she didn't feel good. She seemed to be having trouble breathing, tail down, all fluffed up and wouldn't sit down. I isolated her and brought her inside. She continued to act as if she was having trouble breathing. Every once in a while she'd perk herself up, eat a little, drink some, and then she's go back to the closing eyes and trying to breathe. Finally at about 8:30 I came into the room and could here her wheezing. I thought surely she was on her last breath. Opened the cage and scooted her toward me. As I did an egg came out. Didn't look too good - kind of beige brownish (her eggs in the past have been more cream colored), it had a soft spot on the narrow end and lots of calcification on the more rounded end. This is the first egg she's laid this year. Today when I cracked the egg opened, it had no separated yolk and white. Just runny brownish yellow liquid. She seems fine now and I put her back in the coop with the others. Does anyone know what might have caused this? I'm hoping it's just a one time thing and the rest of her eggs will be fine and will come out easily but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated!

-
    Married to a wonderful, handy husband with 3 beautiful daughters and 4 silly chickens - 1 BO, 1 RIR, 1 EE, and 1 GLW. (and 2 new OEGB’s!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by