help with behavior

motherduckling

Chirping
Sep 1, 2020
So I have a rescue mallard I hatched. he had a slipped tendon, so only has use of one leg. (has had a vet visit but nothing could be done) anyway. he's a happy little fellow 6 weeks now and learning fantastically to balance on the one leg and he wants for nothing from me. I also have a 7 week old Khaki Campbell who we got for a companion from a friend. They are the best of friends now and the little mallard calls the Campbell when he is out of sight. Now the question i have, when they are in the pool Pancake the Campbell will get excited and sort of bite Aromatics head, I know that Aro is a drake but still not sure what sex Pan is yet so not sure if this behavior is sexual or dominance. Pan is a lot bigger than Aro So I am worried he will get hurt. Why does Pan only do this in the pool, as outside the pool Pan protects him and loves on him a lot. When they are in the big outside pool Pan does not do it, I've added some pics so you see how close they are. and they are cute so thought you might want to see them.

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 19
  • pan 3.jpg
    pan 3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 6
  • pan 2.jpg
    pan 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6
You should be hearing some voice changes now to let you know sex. I have 6 week old Runners and I am pretty sure I have 1 girl making tiny quacking noises.
I was hoping that, had happened by now,. Love runners btw they are really cute. It's simple for me to tell with a mallard as I live on a marina so am surrounded by them, and had one before, when they are youngsters in the baby plumage, people say to me how do you know that's a boy they all look the same, and I just know by feather color shade and the head. but first time I have had a Campbell and the hen and drake are so similar. Pan does do like a funny quack every now and then but still does the peep a lot. I think its a drake just by the cheeky attitude lol :)

Back
Top Bottom