1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with breed and sex please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RustyC, Jun 16, 2016.

1. RustyC

RustyC Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    Kansas
    I bought 4 pullets from a private farmer about a month ago. The chicks were supposedly 2 days old when I bought them. Of the 4 chicks, 3 of them are the same size and one is getting a bright red/orange comb already and the 4th is much smaller than the other 3. The smallest chick seems to keep her head tucked a lot. She doesn't extend her neck when she struts around like the other 3. Do any of my "pullets" look like they may be a roo? Are they still too young to tell? Two are supposed to be Rhodebar and 2 Cinnamon Queen, can anyone distinguish which is which yet? I'll add a picture of them when I first got them and another couple picture if of them now. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RustyC

RustyC Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    Kansas
    One more picture, still may not be much help[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The chick that you are holding is a cockerel. I am not certain of the breed, but there are no cinnamon queens in the bunch.

1 person likes this.
  4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You have four mixed breed chicks. One looks like a Wyandotte mix with that rose comb, it is also the only obvious cockerel so far.

5. RustyC

RustyC Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    Kansas
    I guess it doesn't really matter what they are. It's just irritating to buy them labeled as one thing and get another. The farmer was adamant about the breeds I was buying, but he also knew I was very new to this and didn't know anything about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by