1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help with breed/sex on 3 chicks please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Finn's Mom, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

These chicks are nearly 7 weeks old. I was told with some uncertainty that they are a buff brahma, a partridge rock and a barred rock when I purchased them and they were in a tub of mixed pullets. What do you all think they are? I've been having my doubts about the hen-like qualities of the third chick . . .
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    buff brahma, partridge & barred, I would assume rocks, but the photos are too small for these old eyes. The partridge is female; the others, well, the photos are too small...

3. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

Quote:I tried to make them bigger -- is this better?

4. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Songster

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    buff brahma - pullet

mine looked the exact some at that age, she is probably a few weeks older than yours and she still had no sign of a comb

- not sure on the other 2

5. okiehen

okiehen Songster

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    All 3 look like pullets to me.

6. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chirping

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    Quote:x2

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    With that much comb, I think the barred is a boy with one copy of barring (which is why it isn't lighter than it is).

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree, the barred looks like a rooster, just with the wrong coloring.

The others look like pullets.

9. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

Quote:I agree, the barred looks like a rooster, just with the wrong coloring.

The others look like pullets.

I would be lying if I said I didn't like the 3 pullets answers best! Can you please explain what 'one copy of barring' and 'wrong coloring' means? (so I know what to look for when I am staring at him wishing him back to a pullet [​IMG]) And does it mean there is no hope at all Juliette will not be a Jules?

Thank you again.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Barring is a sex-linked gene, meaning that males can carry two copies. Females only have a place for one copy. Unlike mammals, in birds the females have unmatched chromosomes (ZW) rather than the males (ZZ).

The barring gene is incompletely dominant which means that there is a difference in appearance between one copy and two. With barring, the difference is the width of the white bar. Birds with two copies of barring (always male) have much wider white bars, and therefore look much lighter in overall colour. Females can only have one copy, but males may have either one copy or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by