Help with breed/sex on 3 chicks please!

Finn's Mom

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
near Rectortown, Virginia
These chicks are nearly 7 weeks old. I was told with some uncertainty that they are a buff brahma, a partridge rock and a barred rock when I purchased them and they were in a tub of mixed pullets. What do you all think they are? I've been having my doubts about the hen-like qualities of the third chick . . .
54525_chickens_continued_002.jpg

54525_chickens_continued_003.jpg

54525_chickens_continued_006.jpg

Thanks for your help!

buff brahma, partridge & barred, I would assume rocks, but the photos are too small for these old eyes. The partridge is female; the others, well, the photos are too small...

buff brahma - pullet

mine looked the exact some at that age, she is probably a few weeks older than yours and she still had no sign of a comb

- not sure on the other 2

Quote:
I agree, the barred looks like a rooster, just with the wrong coloring.

The others look like pullets.

I would be lying if I said I didn't like the 3 pullets answers best! Can you please explain what 'one copy of barring' and 'wrong coloring' means? (so I know what to look for when I am staring at him wishing him back to a pullet
smile.png
) And does it mean there is no hope at all Juliette will not be a Jules?

Thank you again.

Barring is a sex-linked gene, meaning that males can carry two copies. Females only have a place for one copy. Unlike mammals, in birds the females have unmatched chromosomes (ZW) rather than the males (ZZ).

The barring gene is incompletely dominant which means that there is a difference in appearance between one copy and two. With barring, the difference is the width of the white bar. Birds with two copies of barring (always male) have much wider white bars, and therefore look much lighter in overall colour. Females can only have one copy, but males may have either one copy or two.

Back
Top Bottom