Dwnuk1207

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2019
I just got my first set of broad-breasted white turkeys. They were straight-run from the local farm store. I have never had turkeys before but we have other kinds of birds on our homestead. I think it is too early to know if they are male or female, but I have noticed them doing some weird things:

They take turns smacking each other with their faces -- swinging their long necks into each other like giraffes. Then they bite each other on the "gobbles" and freeze in this position for 3-5 mins (pictures attached.) They both do this to one another, it's not just one attaching the other. They do this on and off all day. Has anyone experienced this? Is it fighting or mating?

Note: They are free-range and spend their time mostly attached to each other. They live with ducks, chickens, and guinea hens (so far, there has been no cross-breed fighting in the flock.)

Attachments

• Turkeys.png
    Turkeys.png
    1 MB · Views: 255
Looks like dominance fighting. I can't tell the sexes by the photo. Generally you can tell by 3-4 months of age.

I just got my first set of broad-breasted white turkeys. They were straight-run from the local farm store. I have never had turkeys before but we have other kinds of birds on our homestead. I think it is too early to know if they are male or female, but I have noticed them doing some weird things:

They take turns smacking each other with their faces -- swinging their long necks into each other like giraffes. Then they bite each other on the "gobbles" and freeze in this position for 3-5 mins (pictures attached.) They both do this to one another, it's not just one attaching the other. They do this on and off all day. Has anyone experienced this? Is it fighting or mating?

Note: They are free-range and spend their time mostly attached to each other. They live with ducks, chickens, and guinea hens (so far, there has been no cross-breed fighting in the flock.)
Pecking order squabble. It can go on for extended periods of time when they are evenly matched.

Back
Top Bottom