HELP with Broody Hen!!!!

Ilovemyladies!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Hills of Kentucky
Hello, I have a Barred Rock hen who acts like she's broody (hissing when I pet her, ruffling feathers, sitting on a clutch of eggs, etc.) But when I to moved her to her broody pen she refused to sit on them. Even though I don't want her in the main coop nesting box, I moved her back. And she keeps getting up and leaving but once I set her down on them in the original box she stays. What do I do?? I need help quick, so any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! And she became broody this morning.

-Shannon

I would let her sit on the nest right where it is for a day or so to really let the "broody" mind set catch hold or try moving her and the eggs she is sittin on at night. Good luck!

She has left the nest, so she may be just going out to eat some food or get a drink. So I will leave the eggs in the nest and if she doesn't come back soon I will just toss the eggs. Keep ur fingers crossed!!!
fl.gif

when one of my broodys decides to set she will stay in the box overnight and hiss when anyone is around , when this happen i will that evenig move her when it is dark
i slide a peice of cardboard under her and the eggs and move then to a dark enclosed pen. always keep it dark so in the moring she wakes to finding she must have been their all the time,BUT once in a while we have a hen called nutty because she would go nutty if she did not get her way , well we put her in a nice large pen and just kept her their for 2 days feeding watering and hoping she would settled down she did and hatched out 7 chicks, sometime you just meed to be persistant as them broodys
jumpy.gif

I've had this happen before, she doesent know that you are moving her and her eggs. She just thinks you're moving her and she want's to go back to her eggs. The best thing to do is let her stay for a few days so the broodiness sets in completely, then you may move her into a seperate box and put a cover in front so she can't get out for the first night, after that you don't need the cover anymore. Iwould not free range her if I were you, I would keep her in a small pen, because free ranging can higher the risk of her being eaten, and leving the poor eggs abandoned. Good Luck with the hatch
fl.gif

Ilovemyladies! :

Hello, I have a Barred Rock hen who acts like she's broody (hissing when I pet her, ruffling feathers, sitting on a clutch of eggs, etc.) But when I to moved her to her broody pen she refused to sit on them. Even though I don't want her in the main coop nesting box, I moved her back. And she keeps getting up and leaving but once I set her down on them in the original box she stays. What do I do?? I need help quick, so any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!! And she became broody this morning.

-Shannon

Just curious as to why you don't want her in the main coop nesting box. I left mine in the spot she went broody in and blocked an area off for her. She now has 4 babies. The other chickens can see them but not get to her or the babies. I let her out a couple times a day. I stay out with them and she lets me know when she wants back in. So far it has worked out great. But if you don't want her to stay in the coop, moving her and her eggs in the evening would be best. Best of luck​

Back
Top Bottom