Help with broody hens

I just went into the coop and found my broody hen cracking open am egg. Blood and yolk were coming out and I quickly took it from her. Inside was a premature chick. It died about five minutes later. Please help me, I don't know what to do to stop her from eating her chicks!

Day 21. We had 3 more eggs eaten but only one of them had a chick. Sad. But, God set it up that another hen decided to be broody that day so we removed the homicidal hen and are hoping for the best with the rest of the chicks. I think I see at least one pipping and 2 may have hatched but have not been sighted yet.

I have to think we lost the chicks. It is day 23 and we have had nothing but rotten eggs. I am very sad.

Day 28. Both hens still want to sit but their eggs are rotten sadly by now. :( If they will stay sitting we will get them chicks this Thursday. We are looking at Buff Orpingtons, BB Red Cubalaya and Cuckoo Maran, 2 of each. Can you all let me know your opinion on these birds and their pros and cons? Also, the Cubalaya are Straight Run. Is there any way of knowing for sure if they are male of female this young as we would like female or a way that it is more likely at least we get a female?

Nothing short of a miracle happened today. Today is day 29. We are planning on getting chicks tomorrow. We had considered disposing of the eggs on day 27 but decided to let them keep them till we got them chicks. Today, a chick hatched. You may say I counted wrong and that they were due today or whatever you think may be a logical explanation but I know what happened. My God performed a miracle. He cared enough to make sure one hatched and was not limited by rotten or unfertilized eggs. I am amazed!

I will send you a pic of the new chick when I am able. I named her Miracle.

I am willing to believe anything right now. We are planning on getting more chicks for the other hen. Any breed recomendations? Also, do we take the rest of the eggs out when we out the chicks in or can they be in with the eggs?

Back
Top Bottom