Help with broody hens

The chicks are here! They are adorable! I am wondering even with eggs that may be rotten can I put the chicks in the nest? I just don't know if more chicks are comingout of the eggs

The chicks are with their new mom. I have a question though. One of the hens is doing great with her chicks, they are eating and playing with her. She only sat for one week as she was the replacement for the homicidal hen. She has been a tried and true great broody hen and mother. But the other first time hen has been a bit rough with the chicks. She has been sitting for 30 days now and seems quite excited about her chicks but whenever they come out from underneath her for any reason she pecks them quite hard and they flee to us or the other hen. I hate to take away the chicks after this long but am at a loss at knowing whether they are safe with her or not. Can you help?

Please! I need help! The chicks are with the mom except for two. For some reason she is rejecting the black chicks, only taking yellow. We don't have a heat lamp. What can we do?

Well, the chicks made it through the night! The mother is quite queer, in her whole sitting history she has never excepted black chicks, ever! I don't understand. The two black chicks are in the above pic. I will try to attach a pic of our sitting hen with some of her chicks. In the pic are Falcon, a buff orpington, Buttercup, the mom, Mira C. Les, our miracle chick and Kernel Sanders, a cublaya. Mira is poking her head out of the mom's wing. Our other chicks are Bilberry and Mulberry, two cuckoo marans, Penny, a cubalaya and Clover, a buff orpington.

I recently (in the last few days) had a hen go broody, and she is sitting on her eggs. She is in a nest box in the coop, and the other hen's still go in and lay next to her to lay their eggs. Is this okay? Do I need to move her out of the coop and separate her from the others? Can she hatch her eggs in the coop is it safe for the chicks, or do they need to be separated after hatching. Any advise will be appreciated.

The danger is the other hens will chase her off the eggs when they wedge in there with her. My broody keeps switching to a different box.

Most people try to separate the broody & chicks from the rest but some dont.

It's best If they get their own quiet place in til the chicks are a few weeks old

Back
Top Bottom