Help With Broody

IMG_20211014_144549.jpg

Hey, just a question. I was able to wing sex both the dad and the mom, will the baby also be wing sexable? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, lol.)

Hey, just a question. I was able to wing sex both the dad and the mom, will the baby also be wing sexable? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, lol.)

Short answer: probably not.

Long answer:

Wing sexing usually means to tell fast feathering chicks from slow feathering chicks.
In many breeds, all chicks are fast feathering.
In some breeds, all chicks are slow feathering.
In some breeds, chicks are a random mix of fast and slow feathering that has nothing to do with gender.

If you cross a fast feathering male with a slow feathering female, you will get sons that feather slowly (like their mother) and daughters that feather quickly (like their father.) Hatcheries sometimes do it on purpose with certain strains of chickens, so they can sex the chicks by their at hatch instead of doing vent sexing.

But if you take chickens that were feather sexable as chicks (slow male, fast female) and breed them, you get a random mix of males & females of each feathering type.

It's because the feathering genes are on the Z sex chromosome.
A male has ZZ, one Z from his father and one from his mother. He passes a Z chromosome to each of his chicks.

A female has ZW. So a hen gets her W chromosome from her mother, with no affect on her feathering speed. She gets her Z chromosome from her father, and passes it to her sons.

All of the sexlink hybrids work the same basic way. The father must have the recessive gene (fast feathering, gold feather color, not-barred feathers) and the mother must have the dominant gene (slow feathering, silver feather color, barred feathers.) Because the mother's trait only goes to her sons and not her daughters, the sons will show that dominant trait. The daughters show the recessive trait from their father, and the sons carry that too but do not show it. This means those chicks do not have the right genetic makeup to produce sexlink chicks of their own.

Short answer: probably not.

Long answer:

Wing sexing usually means to tell fast feathering chicks from slow feathering chicks.
In many breeds, all chicks are fast feathering.
In some breeds, all chicks are slow feathering.
In some breeds, chicks are a random mix of fast and slow feathering that has nothing to do with gender.

If you cross a fast feathering male with a slow feathering female, you will get sons that feather slowly (like their mother) and daughters that feather quickly (like their father.) Hatcheries sometimes do it on purpose with certain strains of chickens, so they can sex the chicks by their at hatch instead of doing vent sexing.

But if you take chickens that were feather sexable as chicks (slow male, fast female) and breed them, you get a random mix of males & females of each feathering type.

It's because the feathering genes are on the Z sex chromosome.
A male has ZZ, one Z from his father and one from his mother. He passes a Z chromosome to each of his chicks.

A female has ZW. So a hen gets her W chromosome from her mother, with no affect on her feathering speed. She gets her Z chromosome from her father, and passes it to her sons.

All of the sexlink hybrids work the same basic way. The father must have the recessive gene (fast feathering, gold feather color, not-barred feathers) and the mother must have the dominant gene (slow feathering, silver feather color, barred feathers.) Because the mother's trait only goes to her sons and not her daughters, the sons will show that dominant trait. The daughters show the recessive trait from their father, and the sons carry that too but do not show it. This means those chicks do not have the right genetic makeup to produce sexlink chicks of their own.
That makes sense, thanks!

Picture updates! The lighting is pretty bad in the little coop so it's very difficult to get good photos, but here are a few anyway!
IMG_1171.JPG

We got two guineas for her today and one is sleeping under her already!

IMG_1178.JPG

You can kind of see it's head in the following picture.

IMG_1183.JPG

More updates...
Buhk Buhk doesn't like it when the keets freak out and run all over the place but she lets them sleep on her. It's so cute when I locked the little coop up for the night both of the guineas were passed out on top of her.
I give my birds a banana every evening and I watched Buhk Buhk teach the chick how to eat banana. She's also already taught the chick how to wipe it's beak. All my other chicks (that weren't raised by a broody) never wiped their beak's as three day olds. This wee chick can already do it so rapidly it's like s/he's a professional! XD Absolutely adorable!

Back
Top Bottom