Help with butchering a meat rabbit

obsessed

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Slidell, LA
I had a doe that had a litter yesterday. She ate all the babies though. She was a biter.
So I culled her today. The only thing is her intestine was bloated and filled with air. Is she ok to eat? Her liver also had a sac attached that was filled with a green liquid. I don't remember seeing that in the other other (only) rabbit I culled. I did see that she had a large mass in part of her intestine. I cut it open and it was filled with hair. I think she could not digest the babies she ate. So .... Is she ok to eat?

That green thing is the gall bladder.. It make the bile for the rabbits to digest the food.. don't pop it open or you will spoil the taste of the meat. The hair was a hair ball, it has a proper name that is hard to pronounce. I would eat her, as long as you did not pop open that gall bladder. Her liver was likely that way because of the impaction of the hairball. Those have killed rabbits on numerous occasions. A good way to prevent those is dried papya. They LOVE them and the enzymes in the papaya help to move the fur along. That is the reason why the air bubble was in the intsttines as well. What breed was she? Usually the long hair breeds get hairballs. All are edible though. Was she off food for a while? Not drinking. She probably ate them knowing she couldn't care for them. Rabbits are funny that way.

Thanks for the help TC. I had taken her off of food for twenty four hours cause i intended to dispatcher. Other than than I feed her as normal.

Back
Top Bottom