Help with chick I had to assist hatch?

Well...at this point. I would start giving it vitamin drops every few hours. Best thing is nutri drench if you have it or polyvisol infant vitamin without iron. U can also put a bit of xxx antibiotic on the cord. Did it bleed a lot when u helped it hatch? It may have lost a lot of blood. Sometimes..the reason chicks don't hatch normally ..is cuz something wrong w them..even after they pip...

Yes it bled some. The only reason i even helped is because they were fighting to get out but the membrane was stuck to them. I have nutridench but her neck is not even straight and I am just not sure drops would be good I am afraid it may choke her? Her body is just contorted so much.

I had one chick that was a flipper and seemed to have a crooked neck. I ended up putting it in a small dish w a rag donut around it to keep it from flipping. After a day of that and vitamins it recovered. I also keep baby bird handfeeding formula on hand and will sometimes mix a bit of that and drip a few drops to feed them after 4ihrs with vitamins.

Well, a baby can go a couple days w o eating. My quess is it lost to much blood and is very weak.Drop some nutri drench full strength on the side of the beak. Just a drop at a time. Try to make a donut around it so it won't flip. At this point you have nothing to loose..

Baby bird hand feeding formula is also great. I've brought a chick with wry neck back from being comatose with PND and the hand feeding formula. Unfortunately, he had systemic damage and had cardiac issues.

Ok I made her a little cup like recommended but she just rolls until she is out. I gave her a drop of nutri. I had to leave and head to work so I guess I'll have to see what happens.

I am going to have to cull this little one. She is no better, cannot eat or drink, and is getting weaker and weaker. I cannot bear to do the snip off the head. Please tell me how to do the starter fluid method - do I put her in a gallon zip lock bag with rags soaked in starter fluid or paper towels and then zip and let it set. I just want her to go to sleep and that be the end. I cannot put a hand on her. I know it might sound like I am being a wuss I just cant, and its hard enough taking a life for me.

I am going to have to cull this little one. She is no better, cannot eat or drink, and is getting weaker and weaker. I cannot bear to do the snip off the head. Please tell me how to do the starter fluid method - do I put her in a gallon zip lock bag with rags soaked in starter fluid or paper towels and then zip and let it set. I just want her to go to sleep and that be the end. I cannot put a hand on her. I know it might sound like I am being a wuss I just cant, and its hard enough taking a life for me.
I have a question, before you go there....

is her fluff dry and crusty kind of pasted to her? is it possible she's not uncurling because her fluff is stuck to her body

She is dried out now. But the odd thing is she has very sparing hair. She is actually missing patches of fluff. There is one little crusty place on her back but no nothing else. When I move her or try and sit her up her head and whole right side of the body is literally curled to one side. Also one leg is smaller than the other and on the smaller leg there are toes that are itty bitty and on the other side normal size. She is about half the size of my other silkies who hatched also. :(
I see... :/ doesn't sound good. I've never had to cull a chick. I almost did this year, I was thinking I would take it outside in the cold. :( I didn't know what else to do. It got a bit better on it's own and died a week later.

I've don't know how to do the starter fluid....

but I have read that a ziplock bag with a container of equal parts baking soda and vinegar will work. CO2.

Back
Top Bottom