Help with chicken breeds and rooster question

Maybe Cream legs are the breed for you.
Cream Legbars are very productive layers, they lay medium sized light blue eggs and around 230 eggs per year. They are autosexing which means chicks are distinct at hatching. Cream legbars are a hardy breed. View attachment 2656955
I have some Cream Legbars, Bielefelders, Wheaten Marans and French Black Copper Marans. The “MarsBars” crosses are beautiful and auto-sexed. The eggs should be green but we’re still waiting for the first one.

Maybe Cream legs are the breed for you.
Cream Legbars are very productive layers, they lay medium sized light blue eggs and around 230 eggs per year. They are autosexing which means chicks are distinct at hatching. Cream legbars are a hardy breed. View attachment 2656955
I have a Cream Legbar hen and Rooster. The rooster is the dominant Rooster of my two (I also have a Gold Laced Wyandotte Rooster). They are good chickens to have.

My Rhode Island Reds are such good layers, have beautiful rust colored feathers, are so nice, and love to play. I would recommend this to you, as they are commonly found.

google says: Autosexing chicken breeds
Amrock, Ancobar, Barnebar, Bielefelder Kennhuhn, Brockbar, Brussbar, Buffbar, Cambar, Cobar, Cream Legbar, Dorbar, Gold Legbar, Hambar, Niederrheiner, Norske Jaerhon, Oklabar, Polbar, Rhodebar, Welbar, Whealbar, and Wybar.
Most of these breeds are either extinct or extremely rare these days.
.... What's a Cobar?!? Isn't that a tiny tiddly town?

I have a very lovely Gold Laced Wyandotte and I can say that she is without a doubt my lowest maintenance chicken. She is gentle, gets along with everyone and yet no one really messes with her, she lays a good sized egg and very regularly, she’s been hardy in both hot and cold and wet weather, and she’s beautiful! I think they would be a good choice.

I second what someone said about getting similar disposition breeds at the same-ish age to keep good will amongst your flock and ensure they will be nice to the others. I have a bunch of docile breeds and they all get along quite well! I love my Orpingtons as they too are pretty low maintenance and they are very nice birds. I also have several Marans and they are great chickens! My roosters are true Ameraucanas and they are great protectors and also very sweet boys to the flock and people. I have all of these breeds mixed in with bantam Cochins, silkies, and Olandsk Dwarf chickens that need love.

.... What's a Cobar?!? Isn't that a tiny tiddly town?
We have a Cream Legbar hen and Rooster.
I have a very lovely Gold Laced Wyandotte and I can say that she is without a doubt my lowest maintenance chicken. She is gentle, gets along with everyone and yet no one really messes with her, she lays a good sized egg and very regularly, she’s been hardy in both hot and cold and wet weather, and she’s beautiful! I think they would be a good choice.

I second what someone said about getting similar disposition breeds at the same-ish age to keep good will amongst your flock and ensure they will be nice to the others. I have a bunch of docile breeds and they all get along quite well! I love my Orpingtons as they too are pretty low maintenance and they are very nice birds. I also have several Marans and they are great chickens! My roosters are true Ameraucanas and they are great protectors and also very sweet boys to the flock and people. I have all of these breeds mixed in with bantam Cochins, silkies, and Olandsk Dwarf chickens that need love.
We have a Gold Laced Wyandotte hen and Rooster with two very different temperaments. The hen is docile and peaceable and the rooster is beautiful, yet a bully to the other hens and the ducks. Luckily our cream legbar rooster keeps him in his place with a good kick with the developing spurs once in awhile. We now want to get silver laced Wyandotte chickens because they are gorgeous.

We have a Cream Legbar hen and Rooster.

We have a Gold Laced Wyandotte hen and Rooster with two very different temperaments. The hen is docile and peaceable and the rooster is beautiful, yet a bully to the other hens and the ducks. Luckily our cream legbar rooster keeps him in his place with a good kick with the developing spurs once in awhile. We now want to get silver laced Wyandotte chickens because they are gorgeous.
Yeah, I had a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte rooster and he was a very strong and confident boy. I've heard the roos can be a bit hit or miss...but the hens are usually pretty docile just not lap birds. They really are just beautiful. Some day I will get a silver laced too! :)

Back
Top Bottom