help with chickens coop temp!

Alihbaloch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
hey there im kind of new to chicken, i have 3 barred rocks 4weeks old,
i live in southern maryland, it gets around 50 degrees at night so i turn my heat bulb on, so it gets aroun 90 - 100 degrees inside the coop,
is it okay or its too hot, what should i do? keep the bulb on or turn it off?

Mine are 8 weeks old and fully feathered. I stopped with the heat light at night weeks ago since the temperatures at night have been very mild. I would think 90-100 would be too hot. I live in Shippensburg, PA, so our temps have been very similar.

i kept mine outside last year at that age, in those kind of temps, i had 14 thou so they huddled together for warmth and i put a box on a blanket in coop an covered it with straw. after my friend who gave me my first chickens burned his coop down with heat lamp i didnt want to use one outside.

i kept mine outside last year at that age, in those kind of temps, i had 14 thou so they huddled together for warmth and i put a box on a blanket in coop an covered it with straw. after my friend who gave me my first chickens burned his coop down with heat lamp i didnt want to use one outside.

i was kind of scared of that too so i will try to keep the heat lamp off today and see how it goes,

Mine are 8 weeks old and fully feathered. I stopped with the heat light at night weeks ago since the temperatures at night have been very mild. I would think 90-100 would be too hot. I live in Shippensburg, PA, so our temps have been very similar.

8 weeks are almost fully feathered but mine are only 4 weeks old what do you think i should doo.

please help me with my other post too!
thanks guys!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/641783/helpp-with-predators
D.gif

At 4-5 weeks old mine are in a coop with no heat. Even if it gets down to 30-40 degrees 4-5 week old chicks will generate enough heat to stay warm. I currently have 20 3-4 week olds with just a 60 watt light at night to give them light for 24 hours so they will eat and drink all of the time. It has been in the mid to low 40's here at night. They run around the brooder and eat then they sleep close together. Not in piles just touching one another. If they are peeping loudly at night they probably do not like the darkness. maybe put a low wattage bulb in the coop to light it up. I personally think they would be fine as your birds are pretty much fully feathered out. It looks like you have 1 Roo and 2 hens also. Let us know how it goes.

Nate

At 4-5 weeks old mine are in a coop with no heat. Even if it gets down to 30-40 degrees 4-5 week old chicks will generate enough heat to stay warm. I currently have 20 3-4 week olds with just a 60 watt light at night to give them light for 24 hours so they will eat and drink all of the time. It has been in the mid to low 40's here at night. They run around the brooder and eat then they sleep close together. Not in piles just touching one another. If they are peeping loudly at night they probably do not like the darkness. maybe put a low wattage bulb in the coop to light it up. I personally think they would be fine as your birds are pretty much fully feathered out. It looks like you have 1 Roo and 2 hens also. Let us know how it goes.

Nate

Thanks alot for your help, do i have to put a small bulb in their for light?
I just locked them up in the coop, right now there is no light in their but i can put one in their if i have too, ? Will wait for your reply

They should be fine without it. It is up to you but not a necessity. I try to give them light 24-7 for 5-6 weeks them shut if off about 9pm and turn it on about 6am.

Nate

Im in south Jersey - GO TERPS! Big MD fans here :) I have 2 girls about the same age and amount of feathers. I have them on my sun.porch and have kept the heat light on since day one. They appear to love it... I was thinking about putting them in the coop at night but I'm scared ;-)

90 - 100 degrees is too warm for 4 week olds. I personally would keep some heat available for them at night for a couple of more weeks. With only 3 birds there are not a lot of bodies generating heat at night.

I will have about 20 chicks this year. I will probably move them to the coop sometime around 5 weeks old. I will keep a heat lamp hanging in one corner for a couple of weeks or so after that depending upon night time temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom