Help with dog matting! Urgent!

Never ever ever Cut Matting out. Those last 2 picture look like cuts from the scissors not sores from the matting. Which is the main reason you should never cut mats.
Use clippers to shave the matting out. With a #10blade. Don't use attachment combs it just snags. The safest humane way is to just shave them out.
Use Apple Cider vinegar on the hot spots but NOT on the open wounds. If you have vetrycin that will work for the open wounds.

See if you can find a mobile groomer to help you maintain her knots.

*Dog groomer for 13yrs*
If you want any tips on shaving/grooming yourself please feel free to message me I will help in anyway I can!

Also if the knots aren't too tight you can get whats called a mat breaker and use cornstarch it helps get simple knots out easily.
Thank you so much! Honestly not sure if it was the scissors or not, hadn’t thought of that. I tried to keep her hair at least 3/4 inch long and I figured she’d jump if I’d Knick her skin but she just sat there. Should I continue giving her baths with detangling shampoo or keep it dry? I can’t seem to get the dirt out and that looks to be what’s causing the matting. I’ll try brushing it out with cornstarch, any particular type of brush you suggest that doesn’t just pull?

Thank you so much! Honestly not sure if it was the scissors or not, hadn’t thought of that. I tried to keep her hair at least 3/4 inch long and I figured she’d jump if I’d Knick her skin but she just sat there. Should I continue giving her baths with detangling shampoo or keep it dry? I can’t seem to get the dirt out and that looks to be what’s causing the matting. I’ll try brushing it out with cornstarch, any particular type of brush you suggest that doesn’t just pull?
Some animals actually don't react to cuts it crazy. I was a vet tech for a few years then became a groomer and some of the stuff I've seen is baffling. Dogs will wail as you clip nails (which we all know doesn't hurt) but I've saw a dog lick a groomers scissors and lost a piece of tongue. No yelp no nothing still tried to lick the vet during Examination. Bizarre!
Should I continue giving her baths with detangling shampoo or keep it dry?
Water tightens knots so try not to bath them. If they are already too tight to get out you might need to bite the bullet and shave her. I don't normally recommend shaving double coats but sometimes you have to do what's best for the comfort of the dog. It can sometimes change the coat and takes time but it will grow back.

Fish oil supplements help with coat health.

I'll grab a photo of my favorite tools

any particular type of brush you suggest that doesn’t just pull?
This is a mat breaker and my absolute favorite tool
Ryan's Pet Supplies Paw Brothers Dog Coat Breaker with Removable Blade Cartridge https://a.co/d/bpojOwc

Then this brush is a good one too:
Slicker Dog Brush for Shedding Short Hair & Long Hair - Cat Brush & Dog Grooming Supplies, Deshedding for Single or Double Coated Dogs & Cats - https://a.co/d/hV4RPNK

Paired with this undercoat rake
Pat Your Pet Deshedding Brush - Double-Sided Undercoat Rake for Dogs & Cats - Shedding Comb and Dematting Tool for Grooming https://a.co/d/2CXTsW9

I've always like Espree Simple shed shampoo & conditioner

Try to get a mobile groomer explain the situation they can get her refreshed & to a point where you can maintain it again.
Puppies knot up the fur. It's known that Mother dogs tend to get knotted up. I used to do a few that i would groom just before they gave birth and I would cut the length short and shave her belly to keep her cool and make it easier to keep clean.

If it was my dog the first thing I would do is clip her. That alone will solve a lot of problems. I would also go back to the former dog food in case she is allergic to this one.

Back
Top Bottom