Please help!! Dog is chewing on herself to the point she’s bloody and loosing fur!

Fangeddeer

Songster
Apr 23, 2023
It doesn’t matter what we do, she won’t stop chewing on herself. I dont notice that many fleas for her to be this bad- and she has a flea collar!
yet She’s biting herself raw, her back has more skin than fur and it’s bloody. She also rubs her parts on the carpet everyday.
we treated her worms, her flea’s, and she hasn’t had a bath in awhile.
what do I do? I can’t think of what it’d be other than possibly eczema but can dogs even get that? And I don’t know what that is tbh.

It could be seasonal allergies. She needs to be seen by a vet for medication if that is the case. She might also have a skin infection of some sort - could be yeast making her so itchy.

It could be seasonal allergies. She needs to be seen by a vet for medication if that is the case. She might also have a skin infection of some sort - could be yeast making her so itchy.
It could be, she wasn’t this bad in the winter…then again she was a puppy

It could be environmental or food allergies tbh. You could try switching her food. Although honestly I think she needs a vet visit if she’s truly that bad. She could have an infection like was mentioned or mange or any number of things.

It could be environmental or food allergies tbh. You could try switching her food. Although honestly I think she needs a vet visit if she’s truly that bad. She could have an infection like was mentioned or mange or any number of things.
thank you, but i know it’s not food which is good. We are always switching our dogs food bc we never rlly settle on one brand

Can you post pictures?

When we got our lab, he had had a flea infestation, had no fur on his back and haunches, he was on steroids and Benadryl. He made a full recovery. Even if he has a little bit of fleas they can cause dermatitis which is super itchy. Can you go to pet store and look for a soothing bath for him? You may need to do them a couple of times a day after all the fleas are killed. You could try to give oatmeal baths but make sure you put the oatmeal in muslin or you'll clog your bathtub. If you have rolled oats, blitz them to a powder and then use a cup in the tub with warm water. It's very soothing and cheap.

Last edited:
I have a dog who's allergic to grass. Yes, grass. He gets very itchy, and has at times chewed on his backside until it's hairless, inflamed and even bloody. I bathed him often, treated his tender skin wounds with aloe vera gel or diaper rash ointment, and put him on vet-recommended benadryl. He cleared up over the winter (no grass), and has been fine ever since.

Back
Top Bottom