Help with drinker

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Oct 9, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    what do you guys use for drinkers/waterers? i know i can just use bowls of water or something when the ducks are grown but they need some sort of special drinker until they are old enough to use just a bowl, somebody recommended a chicken drinker/waterer, but a ducklings bill is a lot bigger than a chicks beak isnt it so would ducklings be able to get the water properly? another method ive read about is using a small round container and filling it with water then filling it with marbles/stones to take up most of the container so that the depth of the water is about 1/4 inch. Another method ive seen is this one:

http://www.duckeggs.com/hatching-eggs.html
    (scroll right to the bottom)

which one is best?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Milk jug waterers work pretty well. I have a grown-up version for my ducks...a 5 gallon bucket with lid and 2 holes cut in it. It keeps the mess in the pen down a bit [​IMG]

3. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:About how high from the bottom do you put the holes?

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    About 3/4 of the way up? I just eyeballed it based on the height of my ducks. Where you need to put it is going to depend on the size of your ducks.

5. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:Well duh! That makes sense, sorry hadn't had coffee yet when I posted so brain was still in neutral....lol.

I've gotten lots of awesome suggestions/information from this site. Can't wait until I get my ducks. Have to wait until at least February.....BIG SIGH.....

6. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I just use little plastic bowls. Yeah, they get things wet and messy but they are ducks. [​IMG]

7. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by