Help with duck eggs in incubator

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MarianneH, Jun 19, 2017.

1. MarianneH

MarianneH New Egg

May 23, 2017
    So I needs some help. I had 15 call duck eggs shipped and 6 were fertile when candle. I kept temp at 99.5 for the entire time (with occasional fluctuation) and the water troughs full (no humidity reader). I had my first duck hatch last Friday 6/16 followed by the second one the next morning. I have not had another hatch but know there were ducks in those eggs. I did take the 2 ducklings out to put in the brooder but no action on the others (although I think I can see one pip on one of the eggs but has been there since Sat). How long do I wait and did I maybe mess up the humidity by opening and taking the others out (did so quickly and did place a wet paper towel in the incubator)?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Possibly the Humidity was too high and that can cause the membrane to become to rubbery and the shells too hard for the Ducklings to pip out...Calls are not easy to hatch in the best of circumstances .......

3. MarianneH

MarianneH New Egg

May 23, 2017
    Thank you for the reply. This is the first time I have done call ducks (always good luck with Pekins and chickens). I feel so bad because I know they were developing well. At what point do I give up on them?

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Try candling and tapping the eggs...They will rock and peep back if still alive...

5. MarianneH

MarianneH New Egg

May 23, 2017
    Will give it a shot. Thanks

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by