Help with ducks and chickens.

Cohl0406

Songster
5 Years
May 29, 2014
I have a young duck. No feathers yet who is bleeding in my house on his neck and head after the other chickens clearly beat her up. She's chirping and walking around fine eating and drinking. Should I worry? There's visible blood coming from some of the areas.

If the chickens are grown and she is not, and especially if she is the only young one, she should not be put in with them until she is big enough to defend herself.

Give her electrolytes in her water and clean the wounds. She is likely very stressed out. Keep her warm.
I had a duck pullet(?) get all of her neck skin ripped off by a dog, the whole way around her neck from her head to her chest. Since I did not know any better, I just cleaned her and kept her warm, did not even cover it, and she was fine. She always had a scar, though.

Last edited:
She's inside with the silkies. I have a couple new few day old chicks in there since that's the only other cage I have. I cleaned her up let her bath herself after (in my tub with warm water) then she wanted outside. They are good free roaming. Her and my 2 silkies and the other 3 hens stay in different groups. Thinking I have high school cliques going on right now lol. She will stay inside at night until she's bigger. She's not mean to the day olds she nudges them away... For now. I feel terrible this happened to her. :-(

Back
Top Bottom