1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with Dutch coloring please!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Of Exeter, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I LOVE the color of my roo. I was looking on some websites and need some help. He's a TSC bird so I don't expect pure or perfect coloration anyways. He sorta looks like two of the color names I saw on feathersite. Can someone help? (not the OEGB, but the one in the back)
    [​IMG]

And one more question, is this splash hen a OEGB or a dutch? How would you tell the difference?
    [​IMG]

More pics here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/MaryOfExeter/September26th2009

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. hippiechicks

hippiechicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    OHIO Go Bucks!!
    I am not sure I am new to the chicken thing but I would say it is a Cream Light Brown Dutch Bantam from the pic I have looked at . I think your hen is oegb how you tell is the ear lobe is white on a dutch

3. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

He appears to be het. (split) silver/gold duckwing.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I agree, OEGB have red earlobes, dutch have white. But I have splash hens in both breeds, and my dutch has similar markings to yours. I don't know if the breed has anything to do with it though.

OEGB splash hen:
    [​IMG]

Splash dutch hen:
    Daughter:
    [​IMG]
    Mama:
    [​IMG]
    Daughter again:
    [​IMG]

How old is your girl? I think it takes the earlobes a little while to get their color, unless they are red, of course [​IMG]

5. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Alright. I knew about the white ear lobes, but didn't know if maybe the color would have some effect on that. If I remember right (since you can't tell from the pick really), she does have a bit of that silvery purple on the ear lobe like they do before they turn all white. It's been a while since I really paid any attention to it. I'll check tomorrow [​IMG]
    I believe I got these guys near the end of April.

I also thought maybe the Cream Light Brown for the roo. Doesn't sound like a very official color name, haha [​IMG]

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:Is there a way to tell without breeding if a roo is het or cream(igig)? Have a roo out of unknown background(mutt, no dutch involved.. out of shipped eggs) I can't tell if he's a split or cream. If he's het, he will be culled out but if cream.. might be tempted to breed him to keep the gene in the flock..

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Would a cream have that much red on the shoulders? I think he is het.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree heterozygous S/s+. Homozygous wild type, gold, and cream would not have that much white in the wing bay.

But then again he could be cream. I would not bet money on it.

Tim

9. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Hmmm. I don't know anything about chicken genetics, haha. So far the only little hens I have for the Dutch and the OEGB, are the splash hen in the picture, and a few BB red OEGB hens. What kinds of coloration could I expect out of the two roos with the hens? I don't show so I'm not too particular on perfect looking colors, I just love these little chickens [​IMG] But knowing what I might get will help ease my curiosity, haha.

10. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Quote:Yes, they look exactly the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by