CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
Hello y'all,

It seems strange that on a chicken forum, I'm posting to ask for help with eggs - but...
hu.gif

How do I make poached eggs with hard yolks? Every time I try to make these things they're runny - or close to runny (just the way hubs likes them). I'll continue to make them since he likes them so much, but I'd like to know how to make eggs for me too, without having to cook them differently (kill two birds with one stone).

Oh and ...poached is pretty much the only way I can make eggs because we're trying not to use as much oil and butter as we have been in the past so...frying (my favorite) is out of the question right now.

Also if anyone has ways to make delicious eggs using other methods (runny or hard yolks since there are two of us with 2 different preferences) please feel free to let me know. The only other way I make them is with milk, scrambled (and neither of us are keen on scrambled, we like to taste the entire egg in separate bits instead of all muddled into 1 taste, lol)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I use an "Egg Perfect Timer" to make boiled eggs. It is a little egg shaped "resin type" thingy that changes color lets you know how cooked your eggs are. It really works! I had a hard time boiling eggs after we moved to Wyoming - being at 7440 feet in elevation really messes up how long to cook eggs because the water is a lower temperature when it is boiling.
I like soft boiled eggs for breakfast and hard boiled eggs for my salad for lunch, and this works fantastic for me. You just plop it into the pan with the eggs, add water to cover them and let cook until they are done to your taste. For a mix of soft and hard boiled eggs, you just use a tongs to pluck the soft boiled eggs out of the water when they are done, then leave your hard boiled eggs to cook until they are done.

I use an "Egg Perfect Timer" to make boiled eggs. It is a little egg shaped "resin type" thingy that changes color lets you know how cooked your eggs are. It really works! I had a hard time boiling eggs after we moved to Wyoming - being at 7440 feet in elevation really messes up how long to cook eggs because the water is a lower temperature when it is boiling.
I like soft boiled eggs for breakfast and hard boiled eggs for my salad for lunch, and this works fantastic for me. You just plop it into the pan with the eggs, add water to cover them and let cook until they are done to your taste. For a mix of soft and hard boiled eggs, you just use a tongs to pluck the soft boiled eggs out of the water when they are done, then leave your hard boiled eggs to cook until they are done.

O_O Will wonders never cease - all sorts of gadgets and gizmos I know nothing about. Thank you very much - I'll look into that! :)

Thank you both too. :) The only kind of oil we use in this house is olive oil, actually...because I love it for baking (olive oil makes the best brownies in my opinion). But..I never knew it was good for me? lol Nice to know - maybe I can fry eggs again after all. =0

Thank you both too. :) The only kind of oil we use in this house is olive oil, actually...because I love it for baking (olive oil makes the best brownies in my opinion). But..I never knew it was good for me? lol Nice to know - maybe I can fry eggs again after all. =0

I use it to make my fried eggs. Tastes yummy. Helps to keep my saturated fats down. And if you cook your poached egg for and additional 2-3 minutes longer than your Hubbies, that should make them more firm. I like my yokes runny too, so I have not tried cooking them longer. But logic dictates it should happen.

Do some more research on fats and you'll realize butter and fat aren't the devil they've been made out to be. I love my eggs fried in coconut oil. Or, of course, bacon grease!

I've lost 60 lbs and my lab work is great, got off all my meds except an aspirin a day, so gotta be doing something right

Back
Top Bottom