Help with figuring out the breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LibrariHen, Jul 27, 2011.

1. LibrariHen

LibrariHen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Hi! My vet gave me a couple of ducks that she found in her neighborhood (she kept them for several days while she tried to find out where they belonged but no one claimed them). She thought they were Khaki Campbells, but based on the pictures I've seen here it looks to me like they may be Buff Orpingtons. Can anyone help? It's not a huge deal, but I'd like to know. [​IMG]
    They are pretty vocal, if that makes a difference.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the picture quality- my dog stepped on my camera and while it still takes pictures, the display is broken so I can't see what I'm taking a picture of, nor can I adjust the settings. Also, the ducks are still pretty scared of me and won't let me get too close.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Look like buffs to me! I have campbells and buffs. The campbells are much darker. And if the are very vocal, it means they are females!

4. LibrariHen

LibrariHen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    Thanks so much for the quick responses! I am going to say they're Buffs. And females. No idea how old they are, though- the vet thought probably a couple of months. I've not seen any eggs, so I figure they're young'uns. Of course, I've only had them since Friday.[​IMG]

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Their bills are light in color and they have eye stripes. From the looks I would say Saxonies.

6. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    The Duck ABC's :

Their bills are light in color and they have eye stripes. From the looks I would say Saxonies.

Thats what I thought​

7. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thats what I thought

Yup, same here. Saxonies or buffs. But they look to big/heavy to be buffs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by