Help with foot injury

DuckDad615

Hatching
Mar 31, 2023
Hey everyone, I’ve decided to post here because I need some insight into helping my duck Remi.

About a week ago I noticed that Remi was limping, and then the next day he couldn’t put any pressure on his left foot at all. It was super swollen and he was having to use his wings to get around.

I contacted my friend who runs a duck/chicken rescue, who said that she didn’t think it was bumblefoot, but wanted me to get him an x-Ray to rule out a break. She also gave me some baytril and metacam to get him started on.

The next day I took Remi to the vet and the vet said that he couldn’t feel or see any signs of a break and that it seemed to be just an infection due to the heat coming off of it. He gave Remi a shot in the leg (something that started with a D) and told me to continue with the Baytril and metacam for the 7 day period.

This was 5 days ago, and Remi can put a little bit of pressure on his foot now, enough to stand up and flap his wings, but mostly still just lays around and can’t walk. The swelling has gone down somewhat, but his leg is still pretty warm. I only have one more Baytril pill to give him, and after that I don’t know what.

Has anyone had a similar experience in their ducks? Should I just let him rest and hope he heals after the antibiotics have run out? I’m very worried about my boy and searching for any advice. Thank you.

Attachments

• 8CCB82D9-0494-48B1-B4E6-D6065BF0DF92.jpeg
    8CCB82D9-0494-48B1-B4E6-D6065BF0DF92.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 6406D7EE-932F-47E4-9F56-5BD8D1CDF552.jpeg
    6406D7EE-932F-47E4-9F56-5BD8D1CDF552.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 8
:welcome

Did the vet think it could also have been an injury?
Have you tried warm Epsom salt soaks for swelling and inflammation? Best to use a bucket instead of where he can't float so he doesn't drink the water. I put both feet down into the bucket it's more comfortable for them. Holding onto them so they don't try and jump out.
7 days is the amount of time Bayrtril should be used so hopefully, you'll begin to see some more progress as the days go on. Rest and water therapy can help. Letting him be in warm water where he can float and use his leg without the pressure standing would cause. You could always switch to another antibiotic if you don't see more improvement but I would get him on a probiotic because antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria

Last edited:
:welcome

Did the vet think it could also have been an injury?
Have you tried warm Epsom salt soaks for swelling and inflammation? Best to use a bucket instead of where he can float so he doesn't drink the water. I put both feet down into the bucket it's more comfortable for them. Holding onto them so they don't try and jump out.
7 days is the amount of time Bayrtril should be used so hopefully, you'll begin to see some more progress as the days go on. Rest and water therapy can help. Letting him be in warm water where he can float and use his leg without the pressure standing would cause. You could always switch to another antibiotic if you don't see more improvement but I would get him on a probiotic because antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria
I have done the Epsom salt soak a few times in the past few days. And the vet did not mention anything about seeing any kind of injury, just an infection. I have definitely seen improvement over the last few days, such as him trying to steady himself with the foot without putting a lot of pressure on it. My only concern is that I stop antibiotics and it reverts back to how it originally was. But I’m hoping that he will continue to make progress towards walking again.

If you don't see improvement by end of the weekend you might want to consider another antibiotic. I'd talk to the vet. @CoriM has a duck that has been treated for an infection in her foot maybe you two need to talk. So far the swelling hasn't gone down either .

If I were you I would call the vet back and ask to try a different antibiotic. They should be able to give you that without the expense of another visit. My duck has a swelling on her foot and we did an x-ray which showed no break, just inflammation, and she had a blood draw which showed her white blood cell counts to be on the high range of normal - so not a raging infection, but maybe some. She's tried two different antibiotics with no change, but my girl is not affected mobility wise. I hope you're able to find a way to help your guy - he's very handsome!

Back
Top Bottom