1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with gender, please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Melissa F, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Melissa F

Melissa F Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Central PA
    I need help with my barnyard mixes, please! They are 2 months old and primarily a Cochin and brahma mix.
    Buff #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Buff #2 and #3
    [​IMG]

Buff #4
    [​IMG]

White #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

White #2
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Melissa F

Apr 15, 2009
    Central PA
    Oh, and if anyone has any advice about the white leghorn mixes in the third photo I would appreciate it! I have 4 leghorns and one is clearly a rooster, but the other three have much lighter and someone smaller combs.

3. Melissa F

Apr 15, 2009
    Central PA
    Anyone?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are the white birds? The don't look like Leghorns, more like Rocks. But knowing age will help sex them.

5. Melissa F

Apr 15, 2009
    Central PA
    They were all hatched July 4, so 9 weeks yesterday.
    I got the eggs from a friend, and those all white chickens were hatched from white eggs, so I assumed leghorns. This is the possible parentage of ALL the birds in the pics:
    a blue standard Cochin roo
    a buff brahma roo
    Hens are EE, leghorn, rir, buff Orpington, marans, buff brahma, light brahma

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I see several cockerels also. This must be the year of the rooster! I hatched about 70% roosters this season :(

I start butchering this weekend.........

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At only 9 weeks, the two white birds I can see are cockerels.

If the roosters are not Leghorn, the babies can't be Leghorns, just mixed breed. The dominant white of the Leghorn momma can cover a lot of colors. You should be able to tell which bird was the father (if it really matters) by the comb. The Brahma's offspring will have a pea or modified pea comb, the cochin's will have straight combs.

enola--I'm right there with you [​IMG] on the Year of the Cockerel. Mine aren't quite ready to butcher cause I didn't start hatching til later, but they're learning to crow now--hilarious!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    First bird may be a rooster. The two white chickens in Photo 3 are cockerels, as is Buff #4 and White #1 and #2.

9. Melissa F

Apr 15, 2009
    Central PA
    I have hatched So. Many. Roos. this summer! I'm starting to question if my hatching practices favor Roos. My Rhode Island reds are the only breed I hatched out 50/50. :(

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

When mine start crowing they get butchered on my next day off. I don't like them chasing the girls either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by