Help with gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Melissafern, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Melissafern

Melissafern New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Hello! I have five babies I hatched and raised from a friend with a mixed flock (Easter Eggers, silkie, and americaunas that I know of) . They have been such a Joy! I had no idea chickens could be so smart and interactive and fun! Now we are wondering if we have pullets/cockerels. In our area we can only keep hens and I'll be sorry to see any of them go. I've read through the posts and it seems these Easter Eggers are hard to determine, I will ad that we flipped them all over and all of them fan their tail feathers. None have three row combs, they are all single and seem to be developing just now. The oldest is three months, the youngest two are 10 weeks. There are times the side view looks very male and then other times they seem to have a hen shape. Argh this is difficult! The oldest has no redness in the comb at all, even now at three months it is just developing a comb at all, and it matches the blue/dark feet in color. I have photos of all but I'll start w the oldest. Any input is much appreciated! [​IMG]

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    First... [​IMG] Looks like that one may be a cockerel but if you could get some closer pictures that'd be great!

3. Melissafern

Melissafern New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome! Let me try more pics. [​IMG]

4. Melissafern

Melissafern New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

5. Melissafern

Melissafern New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Indiana
    [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The bird pictured is a cockerel.

7. Melissafern

Melissafern New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    Thus is another. All black and white about 10weeks old. No comb development at all. Thanks for any help!

8. Melissafern

Melissafern New Egg

Dec 24, 2015
    Indiana
    Any other input on gender of my babies? All are 10-12 weeks. Thanks for any help. [​IMG]

9. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    2 cockerels, looks like possibly the remaining 2 are pullets.

10. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    I agree. The black and white one looks like a pullet. The two orange ones in the last picture look like cockerels. Bottom one looks like a pullet too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by