Help with guinea

sueg6255

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
LaGrange County
I just got some day old keets from a hatchery. out of 15 5 are dead. The did this neck thing where it bends backwards. What is going on does anyone know what I need to do?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So sorry about the keets. Did you just get them or are they a little older? Are you sure you have the brooder the right temperature and out of drafts? Keets are a little fragile.

Are they by themselves or with chicks? Keets seem to do okay with chicks that are hatched the same time but can get trampled if there are a couple of days difference. Once the keets are a few days old and up on their feet and getting around good then they can pretty much hold their own against chicks or poults.

Keets are also high strung and freak out so handle them slowly. No fast movements when giving them feed or water.

Without a little more info as to if you just got them or they are older I can't give any additional advise.

Good luck. Hope the rest do okay for you.

Last edited:
Sounds like crookneck- very fixable but it takes some work. Did the five arrive dead, or has it been a bit of time since they arrived? What are you feeding them? Sometimes not all of the keets get equal time with the food and this is a nutrition issue. Do a search on crookneck, there are many entries about it.... you will need some Poly-Vi-Sol liquid child vitamins WITHOUT iron, you can find this easily at most drug stores or Walmart/Target.. good luck, sorry you're having a tough time...
Patty N. ;-)

Thanks will get that stuff. They were just hatched and are 2 days old now. I knew keets were freaky but this is the first time with day old ones. So far everyone else is doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom