Help with ideas for Roost Bars

MandaRae

For the love of 🐓Chickens & Sunflowers 🌻
5 Years
Jan 3, 2019
Pitt County, North Carolina
So hubby is building me a coop. I originally wanted the chicken door on the side but he put it on the front. So now I'm struggling how to adjust the roost bars. I am thinking I want them on a hinge to lift up for easy cleaning. This open space you see will be the double doors for full open cleaning an egg box access.
received_831218934212818.jpeg

A hinged roost set up would be ideal to get it out of the way for cleaning. You can top hinge it to the ceiling and then use a chain to lift and secure it.

How big is the coop? You said you have 14 birds and want to add more, but it doesn't look like there's room for more birds. Where is the ventilation going to be, as the soffits look closed up at the moment and I don't see any openings? For 14 chickens you're looking at 14 sq ft of ventilation - add 1 additional sq ft of vent for each additional bird.

There is a long gap in the front (left side) and large corner gaps.

its 8ft by 6 1/2ft
5ft high in the highest and 4.5ft in the lowest.
View attachment 2889078
8x6.5 would fit 13 (a tight fit IMO) with the recommended 4 sq ft per bird. I usually have 1 bird less than what my coop is built for, like right now I have a 6x6 which would house 9 but only have 7. Also if you have anything on the floor you have to subtract that from the sq ft

There is a long gap in the front (left side) and large corner gaps.
Might want to see about opening up the soffit area on the shorter wall too. It may not possible to reach 1 sq ft per bird in vents since the walls aren't super tall, but you want to provide as much as you can to let ammonia and moisture out), plus letting in more light into the coop would also be ideal to encourage the birds to use it.

Might want to see about opening up the soffit area on the shorter wall too. It may not possible to reach 1 sq ft per bird in vents since the walls aren't super tall, but you want to provide as much as you can to let ammonia and moisture out), plus letting in more light into the coop would also be ideal to encourage the birds to use it.
I would eventually like to add a window too. That will be next years project. I was worried about too much ventilation because of the Wind and snow we get here during the winter it get to the negatives.

I would eventually like to add a window too. That will be next years project. I was worried about too much ventilation because of the Wind and snow we get here during the winter it get to the negatives.
Yeah it can be tricky balancing ventilation while keeping out drafts. You're at higher risk of frostbite if moisture can't escape the coop, but obviously unbuffered ventilation in the wrong places can lead the drafts which cause the birds to struggle to hold heat against their bodies.

Something to look into might be top hinged vents that can be opened during hotter weather but partially closed during cold weather, so you still get some ventilation benefit but with a lot less risk of drafts or rain/snow getting in.

Back
Top Bottom