Help with identifying these nasties

Corblimeyguvnor

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2019
Romsey, UK
Please can someone tell me what these mites are on chicken house. I clean regularly and these nasties have appeared in the last week. I hope it’s not the start of the dreaded redmite. Hope the photos are clear enough. O

Attachments

• 992C6BCB-80D3-427F-A47F-3AACDF4D151B.jpeg
    992C6BCB-80D3-427F-A47F-3AACDF4D151B.jpeg
    572.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 4842B38C-F748-4AF5-A96B-EA653B902C18.jpeg
    4842B38C-F748-4AF5-A96B-EA653B902C18.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 4AA7136D-5EA1-4CBC-8B26-27DF741F9C70.jpeg
    4AA7136D-5EA1-4CBC-8B26-27DF741F9C70.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 19
My guess is that those are mites. You would be good to get some permethrin to treat the coop, nests, roosts, and the chickens after emptying the coop bedding. In the UK, it may take some investigating on where to find it. The birds need to be treated every 7 days until no mites are seen. Here are some links to read about mites and lice:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

Thanks for this. A couple of years ago I was introduced to these pests and started researching the best stuff to get rid of them and the life cycle of these nasties and found poultry shield, and diatom. It was really helpful, however one old house I ended up burning. I have also tried home made remedies, water, oil and fairy liquid detergent. I am now treating every day to try and stop the cycle. I hate it as I always feel that I am crawling myself. After my shower I feel normal again. Have been puffing the hens with power as well. Thank you for your reply.

Hi :frow

I find Netex total mite kill spray the best for keeping these blighters at a reasonable number. It contains ~ Contains: Permethrin 2.3%, Tetramethrin 0.23%, Benzalkonium chloride.
DA4F74CC-CC05-4553-826A-CD7A87AD8119.jpeg

I treat the coops every 3 days with it to try and break the cycle of them.

Unfortunately @Eggcessive i can’t find a permethrin spray etc to actually put on the birds over here in the UK. The mite kill above says do not apply to birds and I am thinking it’s because of the other ingredients that’s contained in it.

Hi :frow

I find Netex total mite kill spray the best for keeping these blighters at a reasonable number. It contains ~ Contains: Permethrin 2.3%, Tetramethrin 0.23%, Benzalkonium chloride.
View attachment 1891485

I treat the coops every 3 days with it to try and break the cycle of them.

Unfortunately @Eggcessive i can’t find a permethrin spray etc to actually put on the birds over here in the UK. The mite kill above says do not apply to birds and I am thinking it’s because of the other ingredients that’s contained in it.

Ah yes Mole Country Stores sell this and I didn't know about Permethrin until I saw @Eggcessive's comment about it. I shall pop down and get some of this stuff too.

Ah yes Mole Country Stores sell this and I didn't know about Permethrin until I saw @Eggcessive's comment about it. I shall pop down and get some of this stuff too.

I highly recommend this product for quick killing of the mites. Permethrin is good stuff, I even have horse rugs that have it impregnated to keep bugs etc away from the horse.
04FB6DB3-E8D1-43CA-92D6-6EE7E827E900.jpeg

Last edited:
I've never seen white poultry mites. Poultry mites are black or red in color. Lice are white or off white in color but stay on the host unless picked up by a person, and only if hen(s) are heavily infected.
Either way, permethrin will take care of them on the birds and inside the coop and wherever else.

Back
Top Bottom