Help with Indian Runner ducklings!

chantecler

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Moncton New Brunswick
HI All

I made was a rash and spur of the moment purchase on Saturday.....
roll.png

I just got two 3 week old Indian Runner ducklings this weekend.

I have chickens but know absolutely nothing about ducks!! eek:eek:

Anyhoo, I have a huge amount of information to learn and fast! I want to take care of these 2 properly.

So here it goes:

How long do you brood them?

How warm should it be in the brooder?

When can they move out with the chickens?

How do they do in the winter? I live in Canada and it gets cold. They will be living with the Chantecler chickens so I hope they will be ok?

Do they need a water bath in the winter?( I have a very large heated dog bowl that will be their bath)

If so how do you deal with ice building up in the coop?

Any good Indian Runner information resource out there?

Thanks so much!!!

N:D

Just some general duck info. Mess, mess and more mess! We had some ducks in our flock before a weasel got them. We would have kept them if they had surrvived, but we will NOT get any more. (even thought they are cute!) Ducks need a constant supply year round of clean water. They use the water to keep their nostrils clean so are constantly dunking them in whatever water you have available, whether it be the fresh water supply or a filthy puddle. The main problem comes when they go and dig in the mud looking for bug larve to eat then get in the fresh water and muddy it. And they are not neat about the water, so if it is inside the coop you will have a wet floor. If you have a small pond on your property, then you are all set and can disregard everything else I said. I am not anti-duck, just anti-mess.

Quote:
do not give them water to bath in during the winter,if there whole body gets wet they can get chilled and die,waterfowl breeders around here just give them a regular metal waterer on a heat can,its just enough for them to wash their bills but not get all wet,another thing you can do is build a waterer cover with holes just big enough for the heads to fit in but not the bodys,then you could use a heated dog bowl type.the breeders here that are in it big time have indoor ponds with insulated rooms for the breeder stock,that way they can swim but they wont get the freezing winds on them,and with 30-50 ducks in one room they stay warm enough,

Thanks for the info!!!

So far they are doing great, aside from being semi-suicidal when ever I stick my hand in the brooder to clean, feed ect.....
roll.png

Hopefully they will get along with my hens when they move in with the chickens!

N:_)
smile.png

Yes, they can be messy, but if you have space for them to roam (free-range), they won't be bad.

As far as water, just give them water durring the warm, sunny days. I have a kiddy pool for mine that I fill when its nice out. Unlike many other breeds of ducks, they don't need water to breed.

I have 3 runner eggs going into the hatcher today. I have never had ducklings. do they start at 95 and go down 5 degrees a week just like chickens? anyone know the correct humidity for the last 3 days?

Back
Top Bottom