help with installing nipples

cboriskin

Songster
8 Years
Nov 5, 2011
Wanted to install pvc pipes with nipples hooked directly to a spigot. I used a 11/32 drill bit as suggested, but the nipple will not thread into the hole. The hole appears to be too small. So, my husband used the next size and was able to thread it. We also added a washer and silicone. After drying overnight, we tested it and they all leaked! Any suggestions?

The nipples I've seen have had threads on them and they didn't appear to be self tapping. After drilling the hole did you run a tap into the hole? You'll likely need to tap the hole.

Tony

I think your major problem is that you hooked it up to house presser the nipple can only handle 5psi or less house presser is 30 or more. If you won’t to hook it up to a spigot you need to put a regulator on it.

I was wondering about the pressure. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to worry about filling anything up. Kind of like the idea of automation. I'll have to look at it more carefully.

I just did this yesterday and yes it was a pain. I drilled the hole with 11/32 bit and then wrapped the nipples threads with pipe tape. Then took the nipple apart and using only the half that gets screwed in I got a socket that fit (can't remember) and put it on my drill and slowly with force screwed the nipple in. I did overtighted one and had to drill it out but other then that it worked great. Now that you drilled the holes bigger you may need a new piece of PVC.

Back
Top Bottom