Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Give one chick to broody EE and leave all 4 together

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leave Silkie and EE together with 2 chicks under Silkie

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Remove broody EE from box and leave Silkie in coop with chicks for now

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Thank you! Does anyone know about a 5th option of just taking the chicks out and putting them in a brooder on their own? It’s been a pain having the mama hen in the brooder with them. She is so protective so I can’t even add food or change the water without getting pecked and the poops are just gnarly!

I would not remove them.
It would not be fair on either the mother or the chicks. Especially if they are imprinted.
I know it's difficult sometimes, but she is just doing her job. And I still think it's easier with a broody.

I would not remove them.
It would not be fair on either the mother or the chicks. Especially if they are imprinted.
I know it's difficult sometimes, but she is just doing her job. And I still think it's easier with a broody.

Thank you.... it does seem a little cruel for them. How long does it take to imprint? I’m not sure I can tell if they are but when we held a chick yesterday she pretty much freaked out.

Thank you.... it does seem a little cruel for them. How long does it take to imprint? I’m not sure I can tell if they are but when we held a chick yesterday she pretty much freaked out.
Where do you have mom and babies? I have used a dog kennel in the past with a hamster type water bottle hung on the door and either a feeder or dish . After a few days I could either attach a small run or let mom and babies free range while others are penned up. It doesn’t take long at all for babies to learn to listen to/ follow/hide under momma.

I have a lot of chickens so everyone wants to hen peck something they can dominate with just three I think your adults would be likely to have a good hierarchy so a few chicks should fine, a momma might stand up for them, ours fluff out their tales. Lift their wings for the babies to scoot under if being bullied, I very much doubt - fingers crossed - that a small set will cause too much harm plus the broody one is less likely to pick on the chicks as she is on her bum, just make sure you put food near her so she does not want to push the chicks around to get her fair share, and you may need water closer by but your Wilkie managed fine so it sounds like you are on the right track, look for special chick food for chickens it deals with parasitical gut issues, best of luck dont be tight with the photographs :D

I have a lot of chickens so everyone wants to hen peck something they can dominate with just three I think your adults would be likely to have a good hierarchy so a few chicks should fine, a momma might stand up for them, ours fluff out their tales. Lift their wings for the babies to scoot under if being bullied, I very much doubt - fingers crossed - that a small set will cause too much harm plus the broody one is less likely to pick on the chicks as she is on her bum, just make sure you put food near her so she does not want to push the chicks around to get her fair share, and you may need water closer by but your Wilkie managed fine so it sounds like you are on the right track, look for special chick food for chickens it deals with parasitical gut issues, best of luck dont be tight with the photographs :D

Thank you for your help and advice!! Appreciate it! Sorry, you’re right, I’ve forgotten to post photos of the cute new chicks! Welcome Violet and Iris! They were supposed to be lavender ameraucana but I think a half black half lavender laid these eggs. Can’t wait to let these cuties have a little outside time in a separate run tomorrow!

Attachments

• DFA83C59-C06D-4E2E-919C-85757972280C.jpeg
    DFA83C59-C06D-4E2E-919C-85757972280C.jpeg
    532.3 KB · Views: 2
  • F8ECA3CA-114D-4DEC-802D-AF5DE227C4EF.jpeg
    F8ECA3CA-114D-4DEC-802D-AF5DE227C4EF.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 2
  • C4BBF59D-63CC-4E83-9E13-25253F1D075F.jpeg
    C4BBF59D-63CC-4E83-9E13-25253F1D075F.jpeg
    846.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 013C5979-357B-43D9-9061-0EB5619BE137.jpeg
    013C5979-357B-43D9-9061-0EB5619BE137.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 1
Thank you for your help and advice!! Appreciate it! Sorry, you’re right, I’ve forgotten to post photos of the cute new chicks! Welcome Violet and Iris! They were supposed to be lavender ameraucana but I think a half black half lavender laid these eggs. Can’t wait to let these cuties have a little outside time in a separate run tomorrow!
So cute :)

Back
Top Bottom